cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL-2

deekay
Grafter

ADSL-2

This may read as a criticism of Plusnet. It's not intended to be.
I have been reading of the Plusnet plans for the forthcoming year, and how marvellous things will be with ADSL-2. I would like to comment on this.
I'm sorry, but I can't see any advantage for a "normal" user like me!
Let me explain.
There are sites from which I regularly download quite large files of several hundred MB. 7-8 months ago, during the morning, I was getting a download speed in excess of 850KB/s. This dropped to around 700KB/s during the afternoon and evening. I was very satisfied with these speeds!
Since the beginning of this year, from these same sites, I am lucky if I can get a download speed of 600KB/s in the morning (it's often much less). Afternoon and evening speeds are an occasional maximum of 400KB/s. Usually its between 30KB/s and 200 KB/s.
According to Plusnet, 'these speeds are to be expected' and 'are caused by the sites being overloaded'.
So, I can see no advantage whatever for a faster speed just between my exchange and me!
One further comment.
If I read it correctly, Plusnet implies that users who use the internet for playing on-line games, viewing/downloading videos and TV programs will get priority.
Does this mean that we who don't do any of these will be pushed to the back of the queue and have whatever bandwidth is left?
I am certainly not optimistic about the future of the internet. In fact I am rather pessimistic about it.
Perhaps someone can cheer me up!
Keith
20 REPLIES 20
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: ADSL-2

There is plenty of capacity to cope with both gaming and web/email access but due to the 'real-time' nature of most games they are given the highest priority on the network to minimise disruptions and latency. This still leaves plenty for all the HTTP/Email traffic that occurs.
What actually happens is the amount of bandwidth allocated for the low level traffic (P2P/FTP/VPN etc) is reduced and what is claimed back is used for HTTP/games so HTTP and games always has enough to cope with demand.
As for the benefits of ADSL2, this has been over-hyped and those that are more than 2KM from the exchange are not likely to see much improvement over what they currently get.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

So the moral is to use HTML protocols (where possible) for your downloads instead of the rather better FTP version.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

godsell4
Rising Star

Keith,
What type of account do you have with PN? Is it PAYG, Premier or BBYW.
Have you recently changed our account type with PN?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
deekay
Grafter

Thank you all for your replies.
Peter.
I am 3KM by road from the exchange, so ADSL-2 won't be of any use to me. Thank you for clarifying the bandwidth allocations.
Axisofevil.
Linux downloads are usually only http or ftp. Not HTML. But, the next time I am downloading, I'll check the speeds of the two alternatives, to see what the difference is.
Godsell4.
It may be coincidence, but last year, when I had the good download speeds I was on PAYG. I'm now on BBYW Option2. I changed several months ago, when BBYW was first offered. But I can't remember if the date of the changeover coincided with the speed drop.
Cheers and thanks again.
Keith
waynepyrah
Grafter

I would suggest you look at BBYW Pro, speed increase for downloads/ptp is fab!
Only problem is your limited to 15gb per month in peak times if you are a heavy daytime user
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: waynepyrah
I would suggest you look at BBYW Pro, speed increase for downloads/ptp is fab!
Only problem is your limited to 15gb per month in peak times if you are a heavy daytime user

BBYW PRO will not give you better download speeds
puddy
waynepyrah
Grafter

It sure does - massive increases on download sites and p2p , trust me I've been on it for a while now
BBYW numbered options are slowed down at peak times for this type of activity
Denzil
Grafter

It does make a difference -  see <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml">here</a>. The connection speed doesn't change - if you pay for a higher service you get less restriction on certain traffic types.
godsell4
Rising Star

deekay, why did you change from PAYG (where your connection is effectively un-throttled) to BBYW (where most things are throttled during the daytime except HTTP and e-mail) ?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
deekay
Grafter

Godsell4.
There were several reasons I changed.
BBYW2 gave me twice the monthly data transfer allowance for about three pounds a month less. As a pensioner, this was somthing to take into consideration. As a Linux user (as well as XP!) I regularly download 700MB to try new distros/versions. Occasionally I also have to download 4.3GB for a DVD if the distro needed it.
Apart from this, as it was "the new thing" I thought that it was the way to go. I assumed that everyone would have to eventually change to BBYW, so decided not to wait.
I can't remember reading anything about BBYW speed throttling (not that I'm saying there wasn't any mention of it, simply that I don't remember seeing it).
An up-to-date example of the reason for my original posting:
Yesterday afternoon I wanted to download in the region of 100MB. I tried several sites in various parts of the world. They all gave me around 30KB/sec. I abandoned it and will have another try this morning.
That's the reason for my wondering if the TV/video viewing was overloading the system.
I hope this hasn't  read as a "moan"!
Cheers
Keith
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

How does your FTP/P2P figure compare with the PN speedtester results?
That would allow you to exclude issues connected with general internet bottlenecks.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

deekay
Grafter

Axisofevil.
Sorry, but I've no idea how to find my FTP/P2P figure. I've had a quick search of the forum, without finding the answer. I'll have to have a longer search of the PN site.
The PN speedtester only gives download/upload speeds and no FTP/P2P figures.
I understand that the BT speedtester gives some other information, but I can't use it! Been trying for seven weeks now. For the first few weeks all I got was a message that it was busy and to try again later. I'd try several times a day, but always it was busy. Then, for the past three weeks, it's been telling me that I have been entering the wrong telephone number, so won't log in! I assure BT that I know my own telephone number.
Waynepyrah and Puddy.
I'll have a good think about BBYW PRO to decide if it's worth the extra cost, as I never play games or watch video over the Internet.

Cheers and thanks.
Keith
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: deekay
I can't remember reading anything about BBYW speed throttling (not that I'm saying there wasn't any mention of it, simply that I don't remember seeing it).

Afraid it is throttled. Sad
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
paulby
Grafter

@deekay
The speeds you can expect at various times of the day on various protocols are detailed on this page.
The only BBYW product which has no daytime restrictions on any protocol is PRO.  However, none (with the exception of option 1) have restrictions overnight.