cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL 2+ Sounds good to me

Keymer
Dabbler

ADSL 2+ Sounds good to me

Looking at the recent posts prompted me to check the position on my exchange. BT Wholesale and Samknows both seem to indicate that either now or imminently ADSL 2+ should be available to me. So can I request an upgrade please in the hope that it might make Iplayer on my tv a source for cheerful kids rather than of teenage cursing (that's in the room rather than on screen by the way). And then there's the forthcoming olympics - buffering during a handball match on BBC's web coverage needs to be avoided if possible, or perhaps not.
One of many things that I don't understand - is there a difference between ADSL2+ and W21CN or are they the same thing? Does a W21CN exchange improve ADSL2+ ? I'd be interested to know so that if anyone asks why my line speed has got quicker (fingers crossed) I could attempt to explain.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: ADSL 2+ Sounds good to me

You cannot have ADSL2(+) unless you are on a 21CN exchange. 20CN exchanges only provide standard ADSL.
Whether you get the full benefit of ADSL2+ depends on the length and quality of your line, you may only get ADSL2 upto 12Mbps is your line is longish and/or poor quality, very long lines may only get ADSL1. You do however get the benefits of 21CN profiling which is 88.2% of the sync speed.
Keymer
Dabbler

Thanks for the info Anotherone.
I've done some more checking and it appears that my exchange is now 21CN. So please Plusnet can I have an upgrade.
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Keymer,
I've placed an order for that for you. It should be complete on the 1st June. I've also sent a ticket/email confirmation to you.
Jojo Smiley
Keymer
Dabbler

Thanks Jojo,
Is there anything that I need to do on 1 June? Should I leave my router switched on as normal, or do I need to log out, turn it off, leave it for a bit and then turn it back on at some stage during the day? Is it right that I can then expect the speed to fluctuate for up to 10 days before the connection optimises?
Thanks
x47c
Grafter

Just leave it router on - no need to re-boot or anything
I was actually working at the instant when my line was swapped.
Everything on the web suddenly 'stopped'  late morning
I guessed what was being done
So I went away and had a cup of coffee
When I returned router had re-sync'd at the new ADSL2+ sync speed.
...and I carried on from where I had left off.