Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A couple of questions about Fibre broadband

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

A couple of questions about Fibre broadband

Download speeds on fibre are quoted as up to 38Mbps for Essentials and up to 78 Mbps for the Unlimited package. If I look in the Product Change for Unlimited, the speed estimate for my line is ~58Mbps, but 40Mbps for Essentials fibre. Is the 40Mbps realistic given that I can only get ~2Mbps on ADSL?
I currently have a TG582n supplied by Plusnet, which has a USB port which I am using to connect a drive shared across all devices on my home network. If I change to Fibre, could I still use this router or would I need a replacement, and if the latter would it also have a working USB port?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: A couple of questions about Fibre broadband

ADSL speeds have no relation as that's distance to the exchange that affects it rather on fibre it's distance to the cab.
if your estimate is 40 then it's a reasonable expectation that you'll get it.
you'll need a new router and they don't have a working usb port, afaik.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

They still supply the 582 for fibre, and mine had usb ports (both of them)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If I change to Fibre, could I still use this router

Its possible to configure the TG582n for FTTC using Telnet see here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=914793;topic=106578.32;num_replies=56;se...
I would also assume that it could instead be flashed with the FTTC firmware, would need someone from PlusNet to confirm this...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

My TG582n was replaced with a fibre TG582n foc when I upgraded to fibre. I quickly replaced it with an Asus RT-N56U because the wireless speed loss with the 582n was dreadful.
RobH
Dabbler

My fibre was installed 8 days ago, the expected speed was 32Mb, we are getting 38Mb, on adsl we only got 3Mb. I was supplied the fibre TG582n router, it does have a usb port and I have it working sharing a drive on the network.