cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8MB ADSL rollout?

Vstar
Dabbler

8MB ADSL rollout?

Anyone know what's happening regarding the 8mb ADSL rollout?
It was building up steam, when all the people (who hadn't read the notes) started complaining and then it stopped with the promise of a second more gradual rollout.
This too seems to have disappeared...
Friends of mine who only live 100's of metres away got their upgrades, but it never got to my place. Since then the people I've referred have all got the upgrade, including my bro who got 6mb and a mate who get's 7mb... both very stable.
So my question is... when with the rest of us (who've been on broadband since the start - £150  installation with a BT engineer visiting and *£40/month* for 512K) get our upgrades from 2mb...
And yes... the BT tool reckons I'll get 4-5 mb... BT eng who came around recently said I'd get at least 4mb...
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: 8MB ADSL rollout?

All you need to do is request it: http://www.plus.net/wizard/index.html?wizard_id=39
(The change to being opt in was announced in a newletter sent to all users sometime last Autumn)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Vstar
Anyone know what's happening regarding the 8mb ADSL rollout?
It was building up steam, when all the people (who hadn't read the notes) started complaining and then it stopped with the promise of a second more gradual rollout.
This too seems to have disappeared...
Friends of mine who only live 100's of metres away got their upgrades, but it never got to my place. Since then the people I've referred have all got the upgrade, including my bro who got 6mb and a mate who get's 7mb... both very stable.
So my question is... when with the rest of us (who've been on broadband since the start - £150  installation with a BT engineer visiting and *£40/month* for 512K) get our upgrades from 2mb...
And yes... the BT tool reckons I'll get 4-5 mb... BT eng who came around recently said I'd get at least 4mb...

Hi there,
Apologies if you missed our further communication on this issue, as jelv says we made this process opt-in last year following some teething problems with MaxDSL. These have now been resolved and you can opt in here.
Alternatively if you wish I can place a manual order for you to complete on Monday? Smiley
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
  .... we made this process opt-in last year following some teething problems with MaxDSL. These have now been resolved and you can opt in here.

If the problems are now solved, maybe it's time Plusnet went back to being a bit more pro-active on this one. I can see that there is a business case for leaving customers on 2Mb fixed, but not to the point that they start to go elsewhere.
If you wait until people say they are leaving to get higher speeds elsewhere, to tell them that those speeds are there for the asking, it will breed resentment & mis-trust. If there hasn't been a push out to those still on fixed speeds since last year, then maybe it's time there was. Next Newsletter maybe?
There is a link from the Members Centre page, but maybe it needs to be more prominent. Is it technically possible to match page content to connection type?
Mand
Grafter

Yep, this is something we're discussing at the moment.
We'll probably go for a targetted email to those customers on fixed rate connections and mention it in the next newsletter.