cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 Speed estimates not being shown on ADSL checker

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

80/20 Speed estimates not being shown on ADSL checker

Right dudeings, Im looking to get fibre installed asap, but Im just a little curious about speed estimates given by BT ADSL checker.
Theres two cabinets in the area (Ones on my road, the other one about 200m away). My cab (P78) doesnt show 80/20 estimates, whilst P87 (on the other street) does (As ive checked with someone elses phone number in the other street that is served by 87).
Just curious as to why this happens. I'd ideally want near full 80/20 (im about 50m away from the cab), is it that BT wont provide the higher bandwidth service to my cab.
Below is what the ADSL checker shows:
For Telephone Number 020(no you dont need to know) on Exchange UPTON PARK
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 4Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 7Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 4.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 5.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 4.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 5.5Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 40Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.5Mbps.
(cut off from here)

Anyone know why I aint being given 80/20 estimates? (If I cant get 80/20, Id rather not go on a 18mnth contract for 40meg just yet, Id wait to see what others on the cab get with an 80meg service then evaluate if its worth it).
1 REPLY 1
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: 80/20 Speed estimates not being shown on ADSL checker

Hi Amanha,
The speed estimate there takes the 80/20 speeds into account, it's just offering you the best speed it thinks you can get. I'm afraid it looks like 40Mb downstream is as fast as FTTC will go on your line, based on results from others in your area.
Hope that helps explain.