Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80/20 FTTC only 40meg at cabinet

crowroad
Grafter

Re: 80/20 FTTC only 40meg at cabinet

If Asbokid over on Kitz will forgive me for paraphrasing his insight:
The only time that the sync speed at home will match the speed at the cabinet is when it has hit the maximum transmission rate/s defined in the channel-profile.
If the sync speeds would otherwise exceed those maximums then the line will be banded or capped to those maximum rates.
And that is the circumstance when the speeds measured at home are identical to those measured at the cabinet, as per the engineers' note from Openreach.
njay
Grafter

Are you saying then that should any of us be hitting the maximum transfer rate at our home for 80/20 then in principle it may be banded to ensure we are limited?
jimbof
Grafter

must be; when the engineer tested my line using the handheld tester he was showing it capable of approx 130 down 35 up...!
crowroad
Grafter

Quote from: njay
Are you saying then that should any of us be hitting the maximum transfer rate at our home for 80/20 then in principle it may be banded to ensure we are limited?

In short, yes, but ....
Where you have a short D-side (say less than 250m), then assuming the quality of that D-side is OK, then it's likely that your attainable rates would exceed 80/20, and so you would get a 40-80 DS profile set.  Actual sync rate at home would be 80/20 and it would also be 80/20 if the engineer measured it at the cabinet.  This is the actual sync rate, not the attainable rate.
On the other hand, if you had a long D-side, say 1.25km, then your profile might be something like 20-40 DS, but you might only sync at say 30 DS by the time it arrives at your home, whereas the engineer would get 40 actual at the cabinet because of the profile attached to your line.
[EDIT] So, attainable rate is what the DSLAM and the modem negotiate is possible, max rate is the cap imposed by DLM in the light of your current line conditions, and actual rate is what you get at the start (in the cabinet) and the end (at the NTE) of your D-side, as a consequence of all three.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Mine's clearly on a 37-74M (as shown in my Fritz Box VDSL2 Line Stats)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
crowroad
Grafter

So, IMHO, x47c was right on the button when he said:
I reckon the line has been subjected to the curious and different FTTC banding.
This is why the BT man could only get 49 at the Cab.
This is the max figure the DSLAM would let the line sync at so no matter how far or near to the cab he did the test - 49 is always the answer for the max set for the profile by DLM, but 36 is what the EU actually got by the time it reached the NTE.  The question is why, when his D-side is ~200m? Longditunal AC imbalance perhaps?
Might lead him to think 'twas a faulty port on the Dslam - nope
total reset on the line - which I recall needs a BT man at the fibre cab to do?

njay
Grafter

So in the case of w23 should they ever uncap the Upload speed then he coud get nigh on 30mbs.
Another plus for the fritz box in that it gives you the min, max, attainable and current speeds Smiley
Given the modem at the end user can obtain all these figures you'd think they (BTw) would provide these to ISPs  Roll_eyes it would make for diagnosing issues easier fir Plusnet. 
crowroad
Grafter

Quote from: njay
So in the case of w23 should they ever uncap the Upload speed then he coud get nigh on 30mbs.

Yes, theoretically.  But as long as as the product is 80/20, that's not going to happen.  My own US attainable is 33Mb/s, capped at 20.
njay
Grafter

I would imagine they will not be changing products until after vectoring trials are concluded and analysed as that has the capacity to bring anyone within 400m up to a more consistant 90-100Mbs. The US could go to 40 due to being able to push US signal strength up on these shorter lines without affecting longer lines to the same cabinet as vectoring would take care of the crosstalk.
that would suggest a possible 100/40 product but I doubt bt will do this lol.
retsil
Dabbler

Good news is my line is banded (back on topic) bad news OR wont reset IP profile to remove the banding - Steve is still trying to get them to do it without sending another engineer out! OR have lied soo many times it's unbelievable. They currently wont reset the profile as they claim the first engineer did it, even though her notes say "End user should request SNR reset/Profile reset if speeds dont increase in a reasonable time"
Any hints on how to get OR to play ball and reset the IP profile so I can see just how fast my line supports on 80/20. (I'll be happy if DLM moves it down to 38mbps as at least we've tried!)
x47c
Grafter

Why engineer did not do a DSLAM reset is anyone's guess - probably because of some  BT standard operating proceedure (SOP) that this cannot be done before x,y,z have been tried.
So this requires yet another visit to the FTTC fibre cabinet as apparantely the reset can only be done on-site and not remotely.
Not even by BT let alone the poor ISP.
Its the same problem with REIN problems.  BT's SOP is to change the Eside/Dside/NTE5/dropwire/put in a RF3 and the rest -  and only then will they even consider the fact that it might just possibly be the next door neighbours dodgy plasma screen TV pumping out RFI across the entre spectrum locally.
It's a disgrace - it really is.
From reading this thread BTOR personnel appear to have pretty well no idea what they are doing.
Probably because they a) have not been trained properely and/or have the appropiate educational background in the first place and b) they are not being given the correct tools to actually do the job (tools here being electronic/online/digital access to the equipment, and the SOP's)
I reckon that even if the BDUK government subsidy process provided me with a fibre upgrade to my local cabinet (110m away) tomorrow, I'd not bother.
I'd just stick to my 12Mbps ADSL2+
(Don't worry I'm in a rural location so it will be a couple of years at least!)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hopefully Steve will get the requested reset put through, ~I can see we're waiting for an update.