cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

70 mbps Wired, 30-40 mbps (Beside Router) Wireless

hazzardboy7
Grafter

Re: 70 mbps Wired, 30-40 mbps (Beside Router) Wireless

Just tried a LINK DIR-615 for a good 30 minutes. Initially doing speedtests, I was getting about 60mbps but after a few times, it's ranging from 30-40mbps. The router is very close to the USB dongle and on wired through the DLINK router, I am getting into the high 60's. Perhaps I wireless cannot reach speeds of 60 and 70?
WWWombat
Grafter

Remember wireless is a shared resource - including anyone on the same channel outside your property, plus anything interfering. It isn't only your router & dongle.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are using wireless because you can't run a cable to where you need the connection have a look at homeplugs!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The TG582n has the 11n certification from the Wifi Alliance (unlike N150 access points), so it must support 2 spatial streams.
hazzardboy7
Grafter

I want to use wireless because it's not possible to run a cable to this PC. Homeplugs are something that is new to me, I never heard of them but they do seem to be a good thing to try. However, I have already ordered an ASUS RT-N66U router as I hear the wireless on this is excellent. If this doesn't help, I can send it back and recieve a refund (just have to pay return postage). I would like my own router anyway as I am not impressed the Technicolour.
lexusuk
Grafter

Let us know how you get on with the Asus router.  It's interesting being able to see the comparison between the routers.  If you don't have any luck with that router I'd certainly recommend homeplugs as the best option.  Many of our staff use them with their fibre connections and can achieve ethernet speeds via their home power circuitry.
hazzardboy7
Grafter

I shall keep you all updated Alex, and will also try the wireless adapter that Plusnet is sending me just to see if that helps with my existing router.
hazzardboy7
Grafter

Adam, I was expecting a Plusnet dongle when a package from Plusnet arrived at my home yesterday but inside was an ADSL router. Was this an error? I also have no Internet at all since 11am this morning. Rang support but we couldn't get it going.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The performance graphs are showing that the normal number of users are connected so it doesn't look like a large scale issue. I'd suggest leaving the router totally powered off for half an hour and then try again.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hazzardboy7
Grafter

The router and modem was left unpowered for over an hour. We also tried making a PPPoE connection directly via the modem which also didn't help.
hazzardboy7
Grafter

I had no internet access last Friday but this was fixed Monday afternoon. I still haven't heard from Plusnet explaining what the problem was and that the problem has been fixed.
I have the ASUS N66U here now. Up close, I was getting into high 60's mbps but now the router is just outside the next room, that's dropped to 20-30mbps. O on wired, I get 70mbps +. This router has 3 antennas and is transmitting at full power on 2.4Ghz. I have set it to wireless N only mode and tried several different channels (I used inSSIDer to select channels no one else is using). I also disconnected the cordless phone. I am using wireless now and doing speedtests nd they can range as low as 12mbps to as high as 58mbps. It's odd. I will try a few more things then I think it's time to try these homeplugs.
EDIT: Just  tried the router on wireless upstairs on a different PC and it works at full speed @ 70mbps. It's on the downstairs PC that it slows down to 20-30 but sometimes the speed does go to over 50. I will have to investigate this further.
I now have the wireless working at full speed on the PC I wanted it on. I ran speedtests all around the home using my USB adapter and a laptop. I noticed towards the back of the house, the speed drops by half. My PC is at the back of the house, but I have found a spot that enables me to run at full speed. I received a Plusnet USB adapter, and this runs on par with my own adapter.