cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60k throttling on BitTorrent but why?

elementaltm
Rising Star

60k throttling on BitTorrent but why?

Hi all, been a while since I've posted, I guess I've been too busy enjoying a stable connection!  Grin
For the last few days I have been unable to obtain a download speed higher than 60k for BitTorrent (non standard ports) regardless of time of the day.
I am usually able to max out my connection approx 60k for every 512k
My BRAS profile is currently 2500kbps, (a bit slower than normal but I think its only a blip) speed tests back this up with approx 2300kbps download speed using mybroadbandspeed.co.uk and router stats remain relatively unchanged.
I am well within my usage limit and have rebooted my router numerous times with no change.
My current option: Force9 Broadband Your Way Option 4.
I can only surmise that the throttling I am experiencing is down to Plusnet network activity.
The only recent change I can think of was a regrade to double up upload speed.
Has anyone else noticed any issues, I'm lost for ideas...
DM.  Huh
KABOOM!
11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: 60k throttling on BitTorrent but why?

Have you restricted the BitTorrent upload speed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
Have you restricted the BitTorrent upload speed?

LOL an obvious oversight but no. Same prob with uTorrent and BitComet.
DM.
KABOOM!
elementaltm
Rising Star

A brief update. bang on 12am last night speeds shot up to normal levels.
I can't help feeling a bit short changed with current lack of capacity and excessive throttling especially when I paying top dollar...
Are we sure traffic management is working correctly?
DM.  Huh
KABOOM!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre
have you looked at the Throttling specs?
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#Option4speeds

Interesting, thanks pierre_pierre, I wasn't aware of that document.
If I understand correctly  with Option 4. the minimum I should be getting is approx 384Kbps not the 60Kbps I am actually getting.
DM.  Huh
KABOOM!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not surprised you hadnt seen it.  Took me about 10 mins.  A) no sign of option 4, B) look down Option 3, C) lots of waffle about prioritization, D)\look down lots of different links, eventually find a small reference to it, E) find charts and - whats this Option 4.
I did know it was there but had not bookmarked it
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The table is expected maximum speeds on the protocols, however we do loosen these when there is spare capacity.
Are you seeing 60Kbps or 60KBps? As the latter would match the expected speeds between 10 and midnight (512Kbps is roughly 60KBps).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: Chris
The table is expected maximum speeds on the protocols, however we do loosen these when there is spare capacity.
Are you seeing 60Kbps or 60KBps? As the latter would match the expected speeds between 10 and midnight (512Kbps is roughly 60KBps).

Hi Chris,
I always get my Kbps and KBps mixed up! For those that don't know 1 Kbps = 0.125 KBps
http://www.numion.com/Calculators/Units.html
I left download running overnight and did not achieve speeds over 30KBps even after 12am  Shocked
DM.
KABOOM!
scootie
Grafter

hi. somthing simlar happend to alot of us months ago where the traffic managment got messed up i was seeing know better than 30KB and knew traffic mangment was thottle overnight still.others was seeing slightly higher or same as me.
i havent done any utorrent for a few days but last time i ran i was maxing my line out. i will give it ago just before midnight and see if traffic mangment then releases my line to full speed after midnight.
p.s does it seat at about 30KB - 34KB and not go any higher at all even if you change the maxium connected peers
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: ASBO
hi. somthing simlar happend to alot of us months ago where the traffic managment got messed up i was seeing know better than 30KB and knew traffic mangment was thottle overnight still.others was seeing slightly higher or same as me.
i havent done any utorrent for a few days but last time i ran i was maxing my line out. i will give it ago just before midnight and see if traffic mangment then releases my line to full speed after midnight.
p.s does it seat at about 30KB - 34KB and not go any higher at all even if you change the maxium connected peers

Yup pretty much as you have  described, DM.
KABOOM!
scootie
Grafter

up latesh on the xbox so didnt get chance to set it going b4 midnight at 1.30am i was getting good speeds.
And last time when the traffic managment was messed up loads of people was posting on the forum.
You shaw every think is setup right?
port forwarding and i know it sounds silly but you havent limited the down speed by accident.