Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

585v8 and FEC Errors

Rich
Grafter

585v8 and FEC Errors

Hi All,
What are 'FEC Errors' in the Thomson Router stats, and what do they indicate?
My router currently shows the following...
    Uptime: 7 days, 23:17:09
    DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
    Channel mode: Interleave
    Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,020 / 4,512
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,128
    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/GB]: 0.00 / 1.67
    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.5
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 48.0
    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 9.0
    Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / P
    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Link (Remote): 0
    Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 28 / 0
    FEC Errors (Up/Down): 2,217 / 712,327,153
    CRC Errors (Up/Down): 928 / 4,246
    HEC Errors (Up/Down): 685 / 52,121

The FEC Errors have increased by 400 to 500 million since yesterday - Does this indicate a problem or it normal for this router?
Many Thanks
Richard
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: 585v8 and FEC Errors

FEC errors shows the number of errors corrected by Forward Error Correction which is a mathematical technique used in conjunction with interleaving on DSL connections to correct transmission errors caused by random bursts of noise.
The number per day can be quite high, and in principle doesn't matter because it reflects errors that have been successfully corrected so the data does not need to be retransmitted. However 400 million per day is a lot and since this is a new phenomenum in my opinion it suggests something emitting random bursts of electronic noise has appeared on the scene. Has any telephone wiring been tugged or damaged in some way (internal or external)? Perhaps a dodgy power supply; do you have scope to move the router a few feet further away from the power bricks?
Have you noticed any noise in telephone calls? Dialing 17070 and selecting Option 2 provides a quiet line test.
Not a comprehensive list of checks, but hopefully good for starters.
If it causes problems (slow speeds or disconnections) you would have to work through the Broadband Troubleshooter.
David
Rich
Grafter

Re: 585v8 and FEC Errors

Thanks Spraxt.
Done the quiet line test and it's silent, so I've moved the power blocks a bit further away, and we'll see how it goes.  Not seeing any speed issues, and errors stay low for a few days after the router is rebooted.  I guess it's nothing too serious - I just don't like to see errors Smiley
Thanks again,
Richard