Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

582n Wi-Fi Test Results

Bright
Grafter

Re: 582n Wi-Fi Test Results

Quote from: Anotherone
...you really need to check whether they are pushing out more power, or whether it's purely antenna configuration that's making the difference.

Probably antenna configuration, RF receiver quality and signal processing. And obviously pushing out more power doesn't usually help - the device at the other end may receive it but will still be transmitting back at the same power level.
@Graham21
This thread is very interesting but can I ask a more fundamental question... what is the objective of this further testing? I think the original objective was to determine whether any of the routers returned as "faulty" were actually performing differently to a sample of known "good" devices. It seems the answer to that was no.
Beyond that, I'm unsure what further testing proves, other than that your wife is very patient Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I wouldn't agree that pushing a bit more power doesn't help. That's precisely what an improved antenna configuration is doing - higher ERP. so whether you shove more power into the antenna and improve the ERP that way, or improve the aerial gain to increase the ERP it amounts to the same thing. You will therefore have a stronger signal at the receiving end and subject to not getting too strong an interfering signal from a neighbouring modem/router, your download will be more assured. And as long as your laptop or other device is not out of range of your modem/router there shouldn't be an issue.
It wasn't just a question of determining whether any of the returned devices was faulty, the complaint (whether due to a fault or otherwise) was that they didn't seem to be performing as well as other modem/routers. And bear in mind, just because Technicolor found no difference between the test units, that doesn't mean they perform as well as other makes/models.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

And bear in mind, just because Technicolor found no difference between the test units, that doesn't mean they perform as well as other makes/models.

100% agree, the one I returned, was unable to keep a wifi signal running all night, through 1 brick wall (with a chimney running through it, so maybe ~ 3 walls) but the next room, 15 feet away same floor.
My HH2 and my old router had no issues doing this, neither does my N300.
Bright
Grafter

I wouldn't agree that pushing a bit more power doesn't help.

Yes, I agree with you. The point I was trying to make (perhaps not very well) was that cranking up the power at one end (eg the router) often doesn't result in better throughput or range, since you can't also increase the receiver sensitivity or the Tx power output of the other end. But yes, as long as there is still plenty of noise margin at the router's receiver it will help. Going back to the original question you raised, I understand the maximum output power allowed by ETSI in Europe is 20dBm (100mW) and most wifi routers use something around that level. My Asus router is set to 80mW (19dBm) but has much better wifi performance than the TG582n. I'm 99.9% certain that's down to a better antenna configuration (3x3 MIMO), good RF engineering and receive sensitivity, and better signal processing for handling both transmit and receive diversity.
just because Technicolor found no difference between the test units, that doesn't mean they perform as well as other makes/models.

I'm sure you know I'm not going to disagree with that!  Wink
But my question about the objective of further testing was a genuine one. It's a while since I read the rest of the thread, so I'm not sure if Graham is planning to test a variety of different types of router under (as near as possible) identical environmental conditions (useful!), or test the same set of TG582n routers in a variety of different environments (not very useful, in my own view).
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Microsoft Network Monitor can also capture wifi traffic in monitor mode, although you'd need a second computer to do the monitoring on.
Graham21
Grafter

Apologies all, I didn't realise that the conversation had continued ; )
@Bright - Good question about the actual objective. We originally wondered if we had a quality issue. That's why I ask for some routers to be returned (we only ever got the two) to see if there was a difference between those units and some other random ones. We found that there was not. So the question for me now is why are some people getting shockingly poor performance from this router? I'm talking aobut the people haivng trouble accessing it in the same room or the people who get 75Mb/s where the router is and then almost nothing one floor up or one room over. I can only assume that it has something to do with the environment in which the router is used. Unless of course, someone can send me a router which has a problem that I can replicate.
To Everyone:
Clearly if we had a router with 3x3, external antennae, dual concurrent Wi-Fi some of you would not have bought an alternative router. This would definitely cost us more though. Would people be willing to pay more for their broadband to get a better router? Or would you rather have the lowest monthly price and go out and buy the router that best fits your needs? (It's a serious quesiton) I think that for most people they would rather have inexpensive broadband.
I can imagine a scenario where we buy 40,000 ASUS-X5Vs or whatever and a different group of people appear in the forums and tell us how awful they are!
I am intrigued when I hear of a 2x2 2.4GHz N router performing better than ours but comparing ours with the obvious ones, that's not what I am finding. I'd happily test any router that anyone wants to send in and of course pay for the postage both ways. Let me know.
Graham

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Graham, if PN bulk purchased a better router you would obviously get a big discount. This could then be offered to your customers as a pre paid option instead of their using the TG582N. That then becomes a win, win situation as those customers who are at present dissatisfied with the TG582N will be much happier than at present. Cheesy
Re the router I returned to PN, it was situated in exactly the same place as my Asus replacement so I guess the speed difference will remain a mystery. Undecided
Graham21
Grafter

Hi Tijara33,
The speed difference (in your case) is not a mystery at all. You've replaced the 582n with a dual-band 600 mbps wi-fi router with 5 antennas! It costs £80 though. I'm more interested in comparing the 582n with other 2x2 2.4GHz wifi routers.

Graham
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Ah, now I understand. However, your reply reinforces what I've said above.
You've replaced the 582n with a dual-band 600 mbps wi-fi router with 5 antennas! It costs £80 though

Graham, if PN bulk purchased a better router you would obviously get a big discount.

Have a great w/e.  Smiley
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I've recently moved here from O2 who also provide the TG582n.
Over on the O2 forum there was nothing like the number of negative comments about the router that I'm seeing here. There was the odd complaint about port forwarding and a few about routing / DNS issues but I don't remember many complaints about the wireless being weak.
Having said that, the TG582n router supplied by the two companies are not quite the same, AFAIK :
The Plusnet one has a board name DANT-T == less memory and only supports FAT USB drives
The O2 one has a board name DANT-1 == more memory and supports NTFS USB drives.
Don't know if there's a difference in the wireless between the two versions but I'm not seeing any wireless issues here with the PN version. I do miss the NTFS support though.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

"600Mbps" is misleading. The RT-N56U is capable of 300Mbps on the 2.4GHz band, the same as the 582n, although the 582n has various things disabled by default, operating at 130.
In the meantime, the vast number of undocumented telnet commands have been discovered, cdd presumably improves things for 11g transmissions and stbc improves things for 11n. "interferencemode" may be another interesting one:
Get/Set interference mitigation mode. Choices are:
        0 = none
        1 = non wlan
        2 = wlan manual
        3 = wlan automatic
        4 = wlan automatic with noise reduction

Some talk about the Broadcom wifi interference mitigation mode here: http://ww.dd-wrt.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=746374.
gofaster
Rising Star

I don't think O2 offer fibre though.
The wifi performance only becomes a problem when it is the slowest link in the chain. If the router can cope with 10Mb/s then you won't really notice it on ADSL but if you are of fibre and the speed drops from 72Mb/s to 10Mb/s you will certainly notice it
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: npr
The O2 one has a board name DANT-1 == more memory and supports NTFS USB drives.

Are you sure on that?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Im ex O2 broadband & there version of the 582n does support NTFS file system on usb drives.
npr
Pro

Quote from: gofaster
I don't think O2 offer fibre though.

That's a valid point, also explains why I'm not seeing any wireless problem with my fibre connection --- it's no better than a good ADSL2+ connection. Sad
I thought there was other complaints about the routers wireless performance (drop outs, range etc) or do they all revolve around speed?