Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£5 for 5GB

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: £5 for 5GB

No, it doesn't relate *directly* to the initial price of the product. You've got to bear in mind that products are designed with average usage in mind, only a small number of customers actually use the full amount of usage on their account and a substantial amount use less than 50%.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I suspect that article is talking about transit/peering costs.  I.e. the price of bandwidth from our POPs to the world, not the price of bandwidth from the Exchange to our POPs.  More detail here:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/02/28/how-uk-isps-are-charged-for-broadband-the-cost-of-ipstream...
It's an old article, and not 100% up to date anymore, but the general principles are still true.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Chris
Legend

Some up to date pricing available publicallly on the BTWholesale.com website:
IPStream Connect https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Library/Pricing_and_Contractual_Information/Part_8_BT_IPstr...
WBC https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Library/Pricing_and_Contractual_Information/Part_7_BT_Whole...
It's the line that says the contracted bandwidth in Mbit/s per month.
It's worth noting that we take WBMC not WBC so get charged slightly more than is shown.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Ronski
Rising Star

Quote from: Kelly
I suspect that article is talking about transit/peering costs.  I.e. the price of bandwidth from our POPs to the world, not the price of bandwidth from the Exchange to our POPs.   More detail here:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/02/28/how-uk-isps-are-charged-for-broadband-the-cost-of-ipstream...
It's an old article, and not 100% up to date anymore, but the general principles are still true.

I'd just come back to post a link to that article, just been reading it, makes for interesting reading, and just goes to show how complicated things get.
bomster
Grafter

Please fix this.
I go over every single month (yes I do the bulk of my downloading overnight), and it's starting to get silly how much I'm paying for the extra 5/10GB I need to enjoy my broadband.
Fix this or offer more usage in the first place (60GB was alot a few years ago, I can use that in a week now).
If this isn't changed before my exchange goes 21CN (End of November) then I will certainly be changing.
Please fix this Plus.net as apart from this it has been absolutely brilliant. Great customer service, 20ms ping, max line speed always valiable (with Pro addon).
Chris
Legend

Have you seen the extra usage link at trials.plus.net? That may help you out Bomster.
bomster
Grafter

Thanks for the fast response Chris.
As I was saying, great customer service.
adie:quote
tomleeds

I was shocked to find out additional usage was charged at £5 for 5GB - that's unfairly expensive.
Luckily the 120GB package is now available so I've signed up - not just on a trial basis - apparently it's an official product but they're not shouting about it yet.
So hopefully next month's bill won't be quite as extortionate!
Looking forward to the fibre rollout which is shown on the trials site, but unfortunately it isn't available for trial in my area yet. Surprises me that despite living in a densely populated area in the centre of Leeds, Virgin haven't supplied fibre here. Hopefully Plusnet/BT will come to the rescue Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I think you might find the 250GB package to be faster, and at the same price as 120GB.
There is no charge for switching from 120GB.
Daft though it is...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Chris
Legend

There isn't a 250GB package for non-fibre customers though.