cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£5 for 5GB

jagstang
Grafter

£5 for 5GB

I just received an email telling me how lucky I am that my Pro account will continue to be the £19.99 a month I agreed to even though the price is going up to £22.99 a month... awesome thanks for that!
I've also been informed that extra bandwidth is staying at £1 a GB but is now being sold in 5GB chunks because it's more cost effective for PN to sell it in 5GB chunks.
Hang on.... so if I'm understanding this correctly a few KB over 20GB in a month and it's going to cost me a fiver instead of £2?
I don't think I've seen such a blatant money grab since the banks tried doing the same with over-drafts. So how exactly does this work out to be more cost effective for PN than selling 2GB chunks other than selling bandwidth that people don't use of course!
Paul.
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): thread moved to Community Support for greater exposure.]
354 REPLIES 354
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: £5 for 5GB

Are you sure - that isn't what the website says at present http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/res_broadband_faq.shtml#overAllowance
14. What happens if I go over my monthly usage allowance?
An extra 2GB will be added to your allowance for the month. This costs £2 which will be added to your next bill.
To control how much you spend per month, use the Data Transfer Watch tool to set the maximum amount you want to spend each month.
jagstang
Grafter

This is from the email....
"At the moment, if you use more than 20GB peak time usage each month, you automatically get 2GB extra for £2 per month. From 12th April we're changing this to £5 for 5GB extra peak time usage. You can check on your usage at the Member Centre. Simply login and you can see your usage for the last 3 months.
To help you keep your costs down, from 12th April you can also set a price limit for how much extra usage you can add each month with our unique usage management tool."
The FAQ's have also been updated to show this change... http://community.plus.net/faq_201003/?WT.mc_id=ec_int_201003_RPR_6&link=faq
Is it just me or does the offer of ways to keep my costs down seem a bit tongue in cheek after the previous statement?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Sodding hell - I wonder if that applies to other accounts as well  Crazy
artmo
Aspiring Champion

PN shooting themselves in the foot again Undecided Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend

FAQ dated March 2nd and nothing in the announcement section.
What price changes for new customers and for existing customers next year
jagstang
Grafter

"Based on average usage, forecasting and current costing, it’s simpler and more cost-effective to supply bandwidth in larger blocks. This suits the usage profiles of many customers.
It’s worth noting that the price per GB is still £1."
Very good attempt at a recovery with that last line, I don't think that's quite going to be enough spin though!
So this suits the profiles of many customers, does that mean that more customers tend to go over in 5GB chunks? How does paying in 5GB chunks benefit any customers?
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: jagstang
"Based on average usage, forecasting and current costing, it’s simpler and more cost-effective to supply bandwidth in larger blocks. This suits the usage profiles of many customers.

That's utterly ridiculous. I'd like to see someone from Plusnet give one properly justifiable reason that someone would prefer being charged £5 for 5GB than £2 for 2GB. The only people who stand to benefit are those who would use between 4GB and 5GB extra a month (or 14/15GB I suppose) – and that must be a fairly small proportion of users.
jagstang
Grafter

I don't think it's aimed at helping the customer unfortunately, otherwise it would be charged at £1 per GB of usage and done with it.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Well I barley use 10GB/month as don't download much.
I'd like to sell my bandwidth back to P/N at £1/GB  Smiley

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

This change is only effective for customers on Plusnet Value, Plusnet Pro or Plusnet Premium. Additional usage on legacy products is staying as it is.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Spider
Grafter

Thanks for the clarification Chris, I wondered why I had not received an email. However, I do disagree with this new charging structure unless Plusnet is also allowing unused extra GB to be rolled over to the following month. Currently the only benefit is to Plusnet and not the customer.
Apprentice
Grafter

I wonder if that charge will apply to any madasafish BB packages, I hope not  Grin
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We've not sent all the emails yet, everyone who is due to receive one should have it by the end of the week.
The investigation we did into extra usage gave us data showing that those who use additional usage tend to use a large amount hence the 5GB blocks.
I wonder if that charge will apply to any madasafish BB packages, I hope not

This change is only effective for customers on Plusnet Value, Plusnet Pro or Plusnet Premium
Wink
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jagstang
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
The investigation we did into extra usage gave us data showing that those who use additional usage tend to use a large amount hence the 5GB blocks.

Thanks for the response Chris.
I'm a bit confused as to why that effects the block sizes though, is there a cost implication for Plusnet in administering smaller block sizes? It seems a bit random to add an increase like this based on people who use a lot of additional data when the cost per GB remains the same. It seems to be geared more towards scaring people away from getting near the bandwidth limits of their contract.