Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

44Kbps from 20MB service

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: 44Kbps from 20MB service

This is just a guess based on distance from the exchange but your internal wiring could be causing 2000-3000kbps reduction in speed capability from your line. However if you don't see major variation in sync speeds (particularly in the darker evenings in winter months) avoiding the hassle of changing things could be attractive.
You probably would not have noticed any effect from your wiring on ADSL1 since you are close enough to the exchange for a slightly higher noise margin and/or attenuation not to reduce sync speed.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: pinniger1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 283
And the BT speed test says:
Your DSL Connection Rate :283 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

Quote from: pinniger1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 12,236

Am I the only person seeing this? There is something massively wrong here and sitting waiting for things to improve isn't an option.
Do any of the other telephone sockets (master and the other two extensions) have anything plugged in to them? If so do you have ADSL filters in them?
We really do need to see the results from the test socket (using this will disable all the other telephone sockets) to determine if your internal wiring is the cause. Long term one option you may consider is Homeplug adapters which run your network connections over the house mains. You'd put the router by the master socket with one adapter and another adapter by your PC.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That's because the banded profile has been removed Jelv, still would be much better if the router was in the master socket and then ethernet or wireless from there.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

A banded profile will give a sync as low as 283?
Is there any information anywhere about the bands?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Yep, the banding was Banding: WBC 160K - 288K
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

What are the criteria for being put in to that band?
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
still would be much better if the router was in the master socket and then ethernet or wireless from there.

It always make my smile when I see comments like these. If the correct cabling have been used for the internal wiring there should be no problem. Compared with the state of the wiring at the MDF and the cabinets the house wiring, ring wire excluded, should be the least of worries. As for suggesting using wireless at the master socket when the PC is 2 floors away can also be a problem. I live in an old house and my wireless signal has to cope with 9 inch walls and even though the PC is reporting a 54Mbps connection the wireless router can sometime report it as low as 1Mbps and speed test confirm this. I don't normally notice this when it happens as my BB is less than 2Mbps. I do if I'm doing large file transfers from PC to PC. But with the OP syncing at 12Mbps then this could affect speedtest and lead the OP into believing they still have a problem.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: itsme
As for suggesting using wireless at the master socket when the PC is 2 floors away can also be a problem.

That's why I suggested Homeplugs!
matt_2k34
Grafter

[my 2p] (i dont particularly like home plugs, so  if you have a large building / thick walls, upgrading the standard antenna on the wireless device is also easily doable, pretty cheap and will easily extend your wireless range.[/my 2p]
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: itsme

It always make my smile when I see comments like these. If the correct cabling have been used for the internal wiring there should be no problem.

[2p]  yes if you use the BT cable for a few metre, on top of the 1.5Km what difference will it make [/2p]
pinniger1
Grafter

It looks like we had a dropout overnight because the line has now been recapped. For those who understand these things, this is what I got this morning:
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 3:54:57
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 288
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.5 / 29.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 33.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 55 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 5 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 150 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
I've left a message on the Plusnet ticket. What's the next step? Can we do back to ADSL1?
pinniger1
Grafter

I'm going to take a laptop and the Thomson modem I'm using and plug them into the test socket. I'll post the data later this morning. According to Jelv,  that will allow us to see whether the problem is inside the house or not. Makes sense.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, it looks like the DLM has reinstated banding - presumably as a result of noise on the line resulting in disconnections around 5AM. Are you by any change near industrial premises that start work at that time? Or perhaps flashing security/street lights?
Leaving things alone has shown that changing router and filter has not fixed the problem - a positive, though disappointing result. Eliminating your own wiring by using the test socket is an essential next step in the diagnostic process. It would also be useful to set up and run Routerstats to record connection speed and noise margin. The full version works with the Thomson router.
Whether the faults team can get banding removed yet again as part of the diagnostic process remains to be seen, though you might have to wait until Monday for that to be reviewed.
David
pinniger1
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Are you by any change near industrial premises that start work at that time? Or perhaps flashing security/street lights?
Leaving things alone has shown that changing router and filter has not fixed the problem - a positive, though disappointing result. Eliminating your own wiring by using the test socket is an essential next step in the diagnostic process. It would also be useful to set up and run Routerstats to record connection speed and noise margin.

I'm not near any industrial premises or flashing street lights. By the way, this is an ethernet only system - no wireless - with three computers connected to the router.
I now have the data for my laptop connected directly to the test socket. I can also do things like unplugging phones, disconnecting computers, etc and then getting the modem data, but I don't really know what I'm looking for here. I'm going to install Routerstats as advised and leave it running over the weekend. Would it be worthwile posting the stats here?
Anyway, here is what I got after two and a half hours with my laptop connected to the test socket. It says that no data was transferred but in fact a Microsoft XP update was coming down most of the time. I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know whether it says something about the wiring in the house. Thanks.
Link Information
Uptime:0 days, 2:34:42
DSL Type:G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:443 / 288
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:14.5 / 30.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:31.0 / 33.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 0

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

. I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know whether it says something about the wiring in the house. Thanks.

The problem is that banding has now been reapplied so its going to be almost impossible to see if the internal wiring is a problem in this situation.
Let me explain, the DLM has forced a maximum of 288kpbs downstream synch on your line for whatever reason, usually because it thinks the line is unstable. Under normal ( non-banded ) circumstances, when using the test socket, if the internal wiring is at fault, your would expect to see an increase in synch speed and/or a decrease in errors. In your case, because the synch speed is capped we can't see any possible increase and there are no errors on the normal connection and therefore it can't possibly be any better from the test socket. TBH my feeling is that the DLM is 'broken' as far as banded profiles are concerned in that its very keen to apply them and extremely reluctant to remove them of its own accord.
I think we must resort to a physical check of your wiring and then if a problem is identified , fix it and then try to get the banding removed again.
Can you describe your wiring ?, as Jelv said earlier
Do any of the other telephone sockets (master and the other two extensions) have anything plugged in to them? If so do you have ADSL filters in them?

Any sky box or alarm system ?
How many wires are attached to the back of the removeable faceplate on the master socket ? I'm thinking 'bell wire' ( see here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.