cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.15pm today anything happen in PN towers?

James
Grafter

Re: 4.15pm today anything happen in PN towers?

@madjbright
Which email server is it that you are having trouble with?  Is it ours?
Are you able to telnet to it?
madjbright
Grafter

James, I have outlook set to connect to 3 IMAP connections and 3 mailboxes, all on PlusNet. That gives 12 connections in all when I click Send / Receive, 6 up and 6 down. 11 of them were fine but one of the IMAP connections stalled and eventually timed out. It does all seem to be OK now.
James
Grafter

Ok David.
Thanks for the update.
I'd be grateful that if anyone notices any funniness going on to let us know Smiley
madjbright
Grafter

James, I am still seeing a problem with mail. Outlook Send/Receive Progress says "Checking for new mail in subscribed folders of Default IMAP. Processing. This is my PlusNet defalt mail-box and one of three that I have an IMAP connection for. The other 2 are fine. I also notice that I have been asked for the password for this mail-box a couple of times over the past 24 hours. Everything else seems to be working fine.
James
Grafter

David,
Could you possibly try connecting via telnet, so that we can rule out your email client being at fault, with a corrupted mailbox, or something similar.
madjbright
Grafter

I assume that you wanted me to do this:
telnet imap.plus.net
Connecting To imap.plus.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
Connect failed
telnet mail.plus.net
Connecting To mail.plus.net...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23:
Connect failed
but possibly not to get that result. I do not think that my firewall should be blocking this.
James
Grafter

Can you try:
telnet imap.plus.net 143
Please Smiley
Using port 23 is just trying to use the standard telenet port, rather than the imap one.
madjbright
Grafter

OK. Doing that gives:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFER
ENCES SORT QUOTA] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision, Inc.
  See COPYING for distribution information.
* NO Error in IMAP command received by server.
help
help NO Error in IMAP command received by server.
The HELP was me seeing if there were any commands that I could type. Not sure if that was what you expected. This is not a problem all of the time and has been successful while receiving the mails about your responses. I wonder whether it is affecting one of the servers only.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

That response is what I would expect. For details on the commands you use to login to one of your accounts have a look at my (off topic) post here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Can someone explain telnet to me please?
madjbright
Grafter

Telnet is a client application that allows remote access to another system. So Telnet sets up a session which will allow you to log into a remote Unix (for instance) system. In this case I was using it to access the IMAP server. Once there I could have logged on and executed some commands if I knew what they were.
scootie
Grafter

Bein having slow webpage response times also. just had to switch to opendns as primary and all o.k . my family say its bein like this for aweek but i havent noticed since i have bein playing race pro since last wensday and not alot of web browsing
is it normal for dns to affect streaming videos? As i had constant buffreing during bbc iplayer and tv catchup.com and as soon as switching to opendns they play perfect
artmo
Aspiring Champion

madjbright, thanks for the info.
James
Grafter

FWIW, One of our DNS servers was having a spot of bother earlier, but that's the entire point of using primary and secondary mail servers.
For anyone interested, it was 212.159.6.10
All the below are behaving as expected.
madjbright
Grafter

I was using 9 as Primary and 10 as secondary as supplied to my router by PlusNet. I wonder whether "having a spot of bother" is different to not there at all and therefore the primary / secondary selection does not work properly. It is probably there in case one of them goes away completely.