cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd Party Router with PN Fibre

riley

3rd Party Router with PN Fibre

Hi, I'm getting a PN Fibre install this week. I tend not to use the free routers that ISPs provide as I prefer something a little more stable  Wink
Can anyone recommend a decent VDSL/Fibre router that they have tested?
I'm looking at this Asus model, it looks absolutely great, anyone else use it? http://uk.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66U/#overview
Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: 3rd Party Router with PN Fibre

Just looked at it and its a bargain now!! I have this aswell and it was a great excellent router. You need to plug an ethernet cable into the modem and router, then goto the router's set up page then type yourusername@plusdsl.net then your password.
Also plusnet can't offer you any support if you have problems with the internet.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Geordiegal
Also plusnet can't offer you any support if you have problems with the internet.

Really?  I'd expect it of AOL or the like, but not PN.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

We'd offer support if the OP's internet connection was down but diagnosis would be a great deal easier where the Openreach-provided VDSL modem and our router were in use. If a 3rd party, standalone VDSL modem is being used then it's unlikely our support staff will have sufficient knowledge of the device in order to identify whether or not the hardware is at fault.
The router we send out isn't optional any way so the OP will be sent a unit regardless. The installation engineer will also expect to carry out the installation with the Openreach VDSL modem and an ISP supplied PPPoE-capable router rather than a standalone device.
No problems with the OP using the RT-N66U however I'd suggest keeping the provided router/modem on standby should a fault ever develop.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AxeMurderer
Grafter

There are plenty of us using 3rd party routers with fibre (see sig). If used with the BT modem support shouldn't be an issue.
markv
Rising Star

Are you asking for a reccos for a replacement for the Technicolor TG582n (there are a million possibilities), or a one-piece replacement for the Technicolor TG582n *AND* the BT Modem?
I started with PlusNet Fibre today and looked hard at the Draytek Vigor and Fritz!Box, which are both combined VDSL modem/router specifically compatible with BTOW-supplied fibre (but pushing £200)
But after a lot of reading around the boards, it seemed both were widely reported as providing a lower speed than the kit supplied by BTOW + PlusNet (although I did find some low level hacks that claimed to get the Fritz!Box up to full speed). SO I'm sticking with the supplied kit for now.
My only disappointment on installation day was to realise that the BT modem connects to one of the 4 Ethernet ports on the TG582, leaving only 3 available for customer use.
I need 4.
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: markv
My only disappointment on installation day was to realise that the BT modem connects to one of the 4 Ethernet ports on the TG582, leaving only 3 available for customer use.
I need 4.

Thats because its an adsl modem with altered firmware, so doesn't have a wan port like a cable router would.  In your case you could add a 5 port ethernet switch to the router to expand the number of available ports.
markv
Rising Star

Quote from: vultura
In your case you could add a 5 port ethernet switch to the router to expand the number of available ports.

Indeed I could. But having gone from 1 box (BT HH2) to 2 on the move to fibre/Plusnet, I am reluctant to increase that to 3! So, like the OP, thinking about a 1-box solution.
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: markv
I am reluctant to increase that to 3! So, like the OP, thinking about a 1-box solution.

I don't know how/where your ethernet cables run, but you could run 1 ethernet cable to a switch in another room (where you need two or more connections).  If running cable is a problem then consider homeplug/powerline adapters.
For a one box solution (removing the openreach modem and technicolor router) then look at Draytek Vigor 2750, Fritzbox 7390 or BiPAC 8200N.  The first two seem to get decent reviews and user feedback.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Plusnet offer INTERNET support but not ROUTER support, thats what i meant.
Also I have sold my ASUS router and used technicolor 582 very good!!!
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up