Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dB Profile change

FIXED
mikemod
Dabbler

3dB Profile change

I contacted customer services via live chat on 20th January and asked them to change my profile to 3dB

The representative said that he had entered the request and it would take 24 hours to take effect, however nothing changed.

Is it possible to try this again?

21 REPLIES 21
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: 3dB Profile change

I've tried to put that through for you now, buy the request is rejected by our supplier systems. So I'm trying this a different way by sending an e-mail off to the relevant team within BT.

If things go to plan it should be on 3db tomorrow.

I'd recommend keeping a close eye on things as this change could cause connection or throughput issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mikemod
Dabbler

Thanks Anoush, appreciate it.

Worth a try, any speed increase would help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems. Yeah I had a quick glance at your connection speed before I left the office, so I completely understand why you're wanting this. Fingers crossed it doesn't cause any other issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Our suppliers got back to us and advised they're not able to amend the SNR to 3db.

Sadly it looks like it's in the hands of the DLM (Dynamic Line Management) software to update accordingly. Sad

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mikemod
Dabbler

Thanks for trying, it looks like I am stuck at this speed.

Will probably just get the landline disconnected when my contract is up as it is so slow we don't really use it that much.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems. Apologies for the slow speeds. You could try for fibre, but it's probably unlikely to improve things due to the distance you are from the cabinet. Sad

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mikemod
Dabbler

The Fibre max speed is estimated at 3Mbps so not much different.

The cabinet I am connected to is nearly 2 miles away, however there are two new fibre cabinets near me at approx 0.8 Miles.

I have tried BT and OR and both say it is impossible for me to be connected to them, but a house which is 450 meters from me is connected  and getting 50Mbs.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah and it's possible that the connection will be poorer as fibre generally is at longer distances compared to ADSL. Sad

Have you tried raising an enquiry with Openreach via this method?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mikemod
Dabbler

Thanks, I have filled that in and see what happens.

I do notice from my modem that no matter what my attainable rate is, currently 2644bps, my speed seems to be capped at 2272bps,.(probably DLM controlled as you suggested)

I suspect that the 3db change would have no effect as the attainable rate would increase but, as it appears my speed is capped, it would remain at 2272.

Is it possible to have DLM training restarted?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

You obviously started this thread to try to get your SNRM value reduced to 3dB to hopefully get a higher sync speed. What is your current SNRM figure, is it higher than 6dB which is the normal default value? I ask this because you stated your sync speed is fixed at 2272kbps which I seem to recall is the sync speed of the old 2Mbps fixed speed ADSL service. It has been known in the past for users to be provisioned in error on this service, it is pretty rare these days as the fixed speed services are hardly used now but mistakes can be made.

It would be useful to see the full router stats, speeds, attenuation, noise margins etc  (hide any personal data) to see if you are getting the expected speeds.

@Gandalf  Is it possible to check the product provisioned on the OP's line?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for pointing that out. Digging into this deeper, your line is banded.

Profile Info: WBC 1M - 2M No delay (INP 0) 6dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

I've removed the banding and set the SNR at 3db.

Looks like it's worked this time and you've got a bit more speed now:

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss SNR Margin Errored Seconds Hec Errors Cell Count Speed
64.5 3.1 7 N/A 155502 2464

And testing your line is showing a potential line fault (Battery Contact) which is likely to be the underlying issue.

I've raised this over to Openreach now. Hopefully over the next few days you'll see more of an increase.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Thanks for that, so it was banded at 2272kbps, my theory was sort of right.Wink

The Op is on a very long line so speeds are not going to be great.

mikemod
Dabbler

Thanks for that Anoush, it may not seem much to some, but that is a 10% increase Smiley, that's about the max I have seen.

I know I am on a long line, estimated by road to be 5.6KM so my current speed is definitely at the top end of what's achievable. 

mikemod
Dabbler

Speed this morning now 0.9Mbps Sad

Looks like the target SNR has been set to 15dB