Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21CN

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

21CN

Hi, I've just checked Sam Knows about my local exchange and found this  (21CN WBC status: RFS date set : 31/03/2012), does this 21CN indicate I will then get up to 20 mb ? I'm not clued up that much on the subject, I have seen on the forum members talking about the up to 20mb speed and have looked on the main site, it states up to 20mb speed. 

regards
jono
5 REPLIES 5
x47c
Grafter

Re: 21CN

My local exchange has a similar date to yours for upgrade to 21CN
ADSL2 will then become available and the exchange 21CN upgrade is a necessity for any possibility of a future upgrade to a fibre based broadband to be done at some stage in the future.
As usual google is your friend on the subject of speed -
The link below shows the standard graph of expected sync rate against distance - this graph found all over on the internet in various places
(NB sync rate not download rate!)
It shows both  ADSL1 & ADSL2 speeds
Your attenuation on ADSL2 will be some 3 dB higher( ie worse) than your current line attenuation on ADSL1 due to the nature of ADSL2, so when reading off the graph take that into account.
In general if you are sync'ing at less than 4000kbps currently on ADSL1 you are not advised to swap as for technical reasons you may find that speeds on ADSL2 are worse than on ADSL1 - Plusnet will advise you on an individual case basis if you fall into this category.
http://surispace.wordpress.com/2007/10/05/expected-speed-on-your-adsl2-connection/
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI jono,
It does indeed mean you will get up to 20Mbps. Also, as your current attenuation is 4dB (yes, four!) you will get the highest speed possible I would imagine.
Jojo Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: JoJo
Also, as your current attenuation is 4dB (yes, four!)

@Jono, Do you live in a flat above the telephone exchange ??  Shocked Shocked
When that date is passed, (or you see the site go to "enabled" rather than an RFS date... Post here and im sure someone will be able to do the nudge for you  Wink )
Regards
jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Thanks Joanne and x47, The exchange is only about 100 yards form our house, BT have been running new cable in over last few months, I think fibre optic is enabled but only in certain areas.
Will I have to contact you when they enable or will it be just a case of me rebooting my router to enable? Just poped up , matt has just answered my question while I was typing so disregard it please.
Thanks Matt will do.
regards
jono
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jono,
although we do have a program where we upgrade customers, you'll be better off nudging us and we'll place the upgrade order for you.
Jojo Smiley