cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21CN much earlier than expected

BRABUS
Grafter

21CN much earlier than expected

Well I was bored so checked out the BT Wholesale website.  I was due to get 21CN at the end of August but it says it is already available.
I raised a ticket on PN asking to be upgraded and have my upload cap removed and they have said it will be done in 5 days.

Just thought I would mention it so others who are waiting could check to see if theirs has been enabled earlier that they thought  Cool
24 REPLIES 24
IanSn
Rising Star

Re: 21CN much earlier than expected

Went to this link.  Didn't understand a word of it  Grin
No idea what I'm currently on, but I'll stick with whatever it is. After reading the horror stories with lots of complicated numbers on this forum I figure if I can watch iPlayer fine, that's about all I need.
BRABUS
Grafter

Post up what it said (obviously taking your phone number out) and we can give it to you in English Smiley
BRABUS
Grafter

When I looked on the BT Wholesale checker this is what it said about me.

For Telephone Number 01773###### on Exchange BELPER
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 12Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 17Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 12Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 7Mbps and 17Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.
Thank you for your interest.

These are my current router stats before I go to 21CN.  What sort of thing should I expect to see when I change over.

Uptime: 33 days, 10:51:16

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 21.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 12.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 89 / 26,270

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 89 / 228

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 61 / 134
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: BRABUS

You're on full speed for ADSL Max. so at a conservative estimate you'll roughly double that - I was on 448 / 8128 and I'm on 1152 / 17086 now. Wink
IanSn
Rising Star

Mine was this --
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 16.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 14Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 16.5Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 14Mbps and 19.5Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 80Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps.

Don't know how to do the router stats thing  Sad
Did a speed test a while back (thinkbroadband?) and was getting something like what it says for ADSL2+ here.
I'm not tempted to mess with this!  But curious to understand what all the numbers mean. When downloading files here the dial goes to "2.3Ms". What does that refer to?
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: Jaggies

You're on full speed for ADSL Max. so at a conservative estimate you'll roughly double that - I was on 448 / 8128 and I'm on 1152 / 17086 now. Wink

...a bit technical but
It depends on the downstream attenuation figure and how well a line performs once it is subject to the higher frequencies of ADSl2+. Some lines/cables are OK at the lower frequencies of ADSL1 but under perform considerably on ADSL2+.
I know one line on max of 8128 on ADSL1 now on 10000 on ADSL2+ and another one higher at 13000 - but only in the latter case because the exchange target margin was reduced to 3 - when it originally was swapped over to ADSL2+ 8128 became something like 11500.
Looking at the spectrums in one case the main reason is inability to use the higher frequencies (ie poor cable & long overhead sections of the line) and the other is caused by considerable Medium Wave radio interference in the higher frequencies blocking out the ADSL signal - which of course did not occur on ADSL1 as these frequencies were not being used.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I was on 8128 on 20CN, I'm now on 13,535 on 21CN with a SNRM of around 5.9. I can sync a little higher but error rates increase and throughput decreases.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
BRABUS
Grafter

IanSn - if you are already getting 14-16mb they I would say you are on 21cn already.  what model of modem do you have, we can then tell you how to get the info we need from it.
x47c - we are about 40m from the little green cabinet and all the wiring is underground and only 4 years old so will this help?
IanSn
Rising Star

Thanks Brabus,
its the router supplied when I signed-up last year. Thompson - TG585 v8 is the number underneath, is that the one?
It'd be interesting, maybe useful at some stage, to know how to get to the info  Smiley
edit - speaking of green cabinets... They put one down the end of the road a while back. Makes a fine old racket, too. What goes on inside those things!?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The direct link to the routerstats on the TG585v7/v8 is http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0. You will have to login to the router's web interface, username admin and password CP... the serial number of the router you'll find on the label (all letters are capitals).
David
IanSn
Rising Star

Thanks Spraxyt, that was easy  Cheesy
this is what came up --
Does this show what I'm on?
I notice there are some error items with numbers at the end... I'm scared to ask if that's a problem, but everything is working ok anyway.
Uptime: 30 days, 1:40:32
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 23,205 / 22,200
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 22,872
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 608.05 / 14.20
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 12.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 33.5 / 2.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 458,748 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 656,186 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 16,979 / 66,137
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 208,011,284 / 2,285,190
x47c
Grafter

x47c - we are about 40m from the little green cabinet and all the wiring is underground and only 4 years old so will this help?

To be honest I'm very wary of making predictions!
It is so dependent on line conditions and even how exposed the house is to radio transmisisons on the medium wave band
The fact that you are only 40m from the cabinet is good as you only have a small D side section to your house and the majority of your line length is the continous E side back to the exchange from the cabinet.  (D -sides have joints in them as each house is split off the main cable - each join introducing yet more points of detioration in line quality).
but since you asked.....
and just so I can get my estimate badly wrong in public.........
Theoretically and based on the "standard curves" with your attenuation of 21dB downstream I would hazard a guess that:
Your router calculated attenuation figure will rise under ADSL2+ to around 24 or 25
You downstream sync speed should be around the 16000 to 17000 mark.
If after a few days testing the situation and the DLM system "likes your line" and drops the target margin from 6 to 3 then you'll do better.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@IanSn
No wonder you are happy with your current speeds - those figures all look very good (except for one thing). You're on 21CN with excellent speed and interleaving off. The 30 day+ connection shows your line is really stable. For 30 days the number of errors isn't anything to worry about.
The only issue is that your upload is capped. You should ask for it to be uncapped which will roughly double your upload speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
IanSn
Rising Star

Wow, thanks Jelv, that's a piece of very good news!  Smiley
Uncapping upload sounds good as I'm about to be shunting lots of stuff upwards to my sites. So long as it doesn't interfere with the other stuff - I am pretty happy with what I have here.
I guess I just make a call to CS?