Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21CN and Current Line Speed

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

21CN and Current Line Speed

When a user connects can Plusnet see their current sync rate? If so why not immediately set the current line speed to just below 88.2% instead of waiting for the delta report? (20CN users would still have to use the delta report)
Looking at information on aaisp that seems to be what they do so it must be technically possible.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: 21CN and Current Line Speed

AFAIK AAISP use their own software to monitor lines proactively to do this, I do like the idea but this would involve significant investment and extensive upgrades to our platform.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I don't believe that is anything to do with the firebrick line monitoring but is picked up when the user connects (from the radius login?). Even when BT fix there systems Plusnet users are going to continue to experience unnecessarily degraded performance following an increase in sync speed until BT send the delta report and Plusnet act on it. Support and your team are going to continue to get requests to make the current line speed match the profile with the associated time costs.
The benefits are not insignificant. Plusnet should at least be investigating the possibility rather than dismissing it out of hand.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm not sure if it is Firebrick myself. We have discussed this and none of us think that the benefits would be insignificant, far from it. Without a shadow of a doubt this would need a lot of work to impliment.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamtemp64
Grafter

So what happens on the madasafish wbc lines?
It looks like mine mirrors the bt profile displayed on the bt speedtest.
Only saying what I have noticed since the switch to wbc on my long line.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI adamtemp64,
Madasafish 21cn will pick up the new profiles, yes, so what you're seeing is correct.
@jelv, We don't get any figures from our connection monitoring so no speed/profile data, although I wouldn't rule out us doing something like that in the future.
Jojo Smiley