cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21CN/WBC arrived, moved onto ADSL2?

richandsian
Grafter

21CN/WBC arrived, moved onto ADSL2?

My router stats (adslctl on a Netgear N300) tell me I've been moved onto ADSL2.
Would it differentiate with ADSL2+ and is there any reason I'd be moved to ADSL2 and not ADSL2+?
Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: 21CN/WBC arrived, moved onto ADSL2?

Longer lines are often more stable on ADSL2 than ADSL2+.  What attenuation does your router report?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
richandsian
Grafter

49.5db Downstream
25.5db Upstream
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Which gives a line length of approximately 3.5km.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Bullet
Grafter

Quote from: richandsian
My router stats (adslctl on a Netgear N300) tell me I've been moved onto ADSL2.
Would it differentiate with ADSL2+ and is there any reason I'd be moved to ADSL2 and not ADSL2+?
Thanks.

So did you just wake up one morning and find that your router had sync'd at a different speed and was reporting ADSL2 ?
OR did plusnet ask you whether you wanted to upgrade to a ADSL2+ connection ?
My exchange was `meant` to be upgraded by 31/03/2012, and nothing has changed, I still sync at 8192Mbps and have G.992.1 annex A and not ADSL2+(G.992.5) 
BT seem to have lots of maybes in place as to when the exchanges are actually upgraded and the service becomes available.
richandsian
Grafter

Quote from: Bullet
So did you just wake up one morning and find that your router had sync'd at a different speed and was reporting ADSL2 ?

Grin
No, I got in early and raised a support ticket asking to be moved to ADSL2+ (the ETA for my exchange was the same as yours). The router switched from reporting G.DMT to ADSL2 this morning.
I'm sync'ing at 3431kbps.  Cry
Bullet
Grafter

Thanks raising support ticket right now!
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Bullet
My exchange was `meant` to be upgraded by 31/03/2012, and nothing has changed, I still sync at 8192Mbps and have G.992.1 annex A and not ADSL2+(G.992.5) 
BT seem to have lots of maybes in place as to when the exchanges are actually upgraded and the service becomes available.

Got a calculator? After an exchange have been upgraded it take an Openreach Engineer 27 minutes to rejumper from ADSL to ADSL2+ So several man years of work to convert the whole of the country. After an exchange has been upgrade it will take a couple of months to change the majority over.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: richandsian
I'm sync'ing at 3431kbps.  Cry

What was the sync speed before being changed? With the reported attenuation you will not see any significant increase in Downstream speed.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Our (BT Business) line at work shows attenuation of 46.8dB, the HG2701 (Business Hub) router always tries to connect on ADSL2+ first but it always shows 'ERR_INCONSISTENT_SIGNAL' then connects on ADSL2.
The ADSL2+ connection attempt shows a downstream attenuation of 50.1dB (more attenuation on the higher frequencies used for ADSL2+).
@richandsian, if you've just switched then you may be in the 'training period' and hopefully you'll see speeds increase a bit, what speeds did you get on 20CN/ADSL1?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
richandsian
Grafter

Before I would connect at similar speeds - about 3400kbps.
I tweaked the SNR and seemed to be able to get ~4500kbps on connections at 6-7db.
Since that though I have now been moved onto ADSL2+ and my connection speed dropped from ~4500kbps to a pretty unmovable 3068kbps, no matter what I do with the SNR, for the last few days. Be careful what you wish for!  Grin
x47c
Grafter

The "standard" comment is that.....
Lines sync'd at 4000kbps or less will see no benefit from moving to ADSL2+
Indeed quite often those longer lines when provisioned on ADSL2+ may find that the sync speed decreases compared to ADSLmax/ADSL1
The higher frequencies that ADSL2+ uses to achieve the higher speeds attenuate more per distance meter run than the lower frequencies used by ADSLmax/ADSL1
So those higher frequencies at the end of a long line have attenuated way down to not just to being unuseable noise, but are now actually ADDING to the general noise on the lines by the time the signal gets to their property. This additional 'noise' then makes the connection worse on ADSL2+ than ADSLmax/ADSL1.
Those that are below 4000kbps break point are generally provisioned on the same ADSL1/ADSLmax but now run from the 21CN network rather than the old 20CN system.
21CN is smarter than 20CN and even those still on ADSL1 as their lines are too long may well find that the connection is more stable under 21CN than the old 20CN system.
21CN manages the lines more aggressively than 20CN changing the parameters as /when/if then line changes, so it may use a 3dB target SNR margin in the summer periods and a 6dB in the winter periods when atmospheric noise picked up by the phone line is generally worse.
As ever some lines are better, some are worse so the above break point quoted of 4000kbps may not apply in some cases and those close to the limit should be investigated on a case by case basis.
richandsian
Grafter

Down to 2268kbps today.  Huh
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's being to sound like you may have a fault of some sort. With a good line and installation you ought to be able to sync just over 5M and get a 4.5Mbps profile.
Are you plugged into a Master socket or extension socket? Describe you installation, sockets, extensions leads, phones, sky boxes and etc.
Post a complete set of current ADSL Line stats from the modem/router. Re-boot in the morning in daylight hours and immediately grab another set of stats and post them when you are able.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The tests at http://faults.plus.net would be worth running through as they'll help to show the possible causes though if you could post the information Anotherone has asked for then we'll be able to offer more advice too.
If you run through the faults wizard (the link above) it'll submit a ticket through to our faults team who'll get on the testing for you.