Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21CN Upgrade?...yeah right!!

furrymunkey
Grafter

21CN Upgrade?...yeah right!!

What happened to the great boast about customer loyalty??,
I emailed support to ask if I was going to get an upgrade as my exchange had been 21CN enabled ( which I had to point out ) and the first reply I got was :
18th March  After reviewing your line and connection I can see that 21CN is now available on your service.
I have now placed a manual order for this service which should complete after 5 working days.
After emailing support again today I got this response:
I have checked with BT and as it stands you should be moved onto the 21cn network on the 5th of April
I hope this helps.
Who does it help? Not me that's for sure. Could you please check on Monday to ensure that my request for a MAC code has gone through as I will be moving my broadband and phone service back to BT. I phoned customer support and was told the 5 days was just an estimate, Yeah right!!
I've been lied to and expected to wait another couple of weeks to be "supposedly" transferred onto 21CN. How am I supposed to believe anything Plusnet tells me know. I've lost ALL faith in you as a provider.
10 REPLIES 10
iainmacmillan
Grafter

Re: 21CN Upgrade?...yeah right!!

in fairness, I believe BT have to perform the cabling changes @ the exchange (to remove you from the ADSL Max segment/circuit), just because it says your exchange has been upgraded does not mean the ISP have the new circuits from BT yet.  BT have to inform ISP of the upgrades, and some exchanges don't get reported in a timely manner, mine was brought forward by 30 days, and nobody knew, including Sam Knows.  PN placed your move order, BT obviously got back to them and said 5th April as an estimate, depending on other work needing done and the exchange being ready for 21CN traffic.  There are a number of factors @ play here, and PN don't have control of them all.  Any provider will be in the same situation, even BT Broadband.  Would also advise to check your router supports ADSL2, as not all do and may require a firmware upgrade or to be replaced.
Smiley
furrymunkey
Grafter

In all fairness I was going to leave PN last year but they persuaded me to hang on with them as the exchange here would be upgrading and they could give me a faster spped. So in real terms I have been hanging on for months now and not being told the honest truth. I know timescales dont always run to plan but it's the "couldn't care less" approach by support that's finally got to me. I was told 5 working days then had to contact them again after that to be told it would be another couple of week. When I get my MAC code on Monday I will be guaranteed the faster speeds as soon as BT took over my line. YES I was lied to, it is that simple!!
furrymunkey
Grafter

My router, both of them I have, do have ADSL2+ capabilities which doesn't really come into play as I will soon be on the homehub anyway
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Plusnet would not still be in business if it actually had a policy of deliberately lying to customers about target dates for upgrading - they are basically re-sellers of a BT product and only have limited control (or information) about what their supplier is doing, or is capable of doing, at any one moment in time.
You are now moving your broadband to the very company which is probably mainly responsible for the confusion you have been experiencing - good luck!  Roll_eyes
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: furrymunkey
When I get my MAC code on Monday I will be guaranteed the faster speeds as soon as BT took over my line. YES I was lied to, it is that simple!!

BT Retail will take your line over as is and then place an order on BT Openreach to convert you to ADSL2+. The timescales will be the same as BT Openreach can't treat other BT companies differently to other providers.
furrymunkey
Grafter

And you know all this information as fact because?Huh
itsme
Grafter

If you want some light reading especially the equivalence section.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.btplc.com%2Fthegroup%2Fregulatoryandpublicaffairs%2Fcodeofpractice%2Fbtpeople%2Fcop_btpeople_part_one.pdf&ei=hYNvT5iMI4TA8QO706HADQ&usg=AFQjCNEQDjNXmgpVjgGWtxMtIn1zCeXenw&sig2=2wWGeccZJ-qaoxoqFh6-YQ
The central idea of the Undertakings is ‘equivalence’. Equivalence, broadly, means that
Openreach will provide its services to other parts of BT in exactly the same way as it does to
other companies that provide communications. The same commitment applies to the way BT
Wholesale provides some of its services to other companies.
furrymunkey
Grafter

Difference is, with my past experience with any other provider I have been with. If I have been given a timescale for something, whether it has been an installation, engineers visit or whatever, it was always done within that timescale. I didn't have to phone them up later only to be told it was just an estimate!!.
I have been hanging on with PN since last year when I was going to leave as I was told I would get the better speed if I was prepared to stick with them, which I obviously did. I could have gone to sky or talk talk which have LLU in this area and have had since last year. But I decided to stick this out in the hope, and yes it is just hope because you cant give your customers a timescale only to tell them later on the phone that it was just an estimate. I am the only one with access to my emails and phone calls so only I know the full story and I apologize if you feel like I'm having a go at any of you guys but it's PN themselves that have got my back up. I was the one who had to tell them in the first place that my exchange was 21CN enabled, even when their own website isn't even up to date with it.
itsme
Grafter

Agreed PN should have given you the actual date. Probably still quote 5 days as this is what Openreach quote as a guideline but at the moment they are transferring 1000's a day as they are moving every connection across to ADSL2+.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi furrymunkey,
Sorry to hear about the conflicting information you have received. I have fed back to the parties involved and alerted all agents as to the correct time scales so that this kind of thing doesn't happen again.
Here's a little bit of an explanation as to what went wrong...
There are two ways of placing orders; automatic or manual. The automatic way is just a one click process via your account. This type of order takes 14 working days to complete.  A manual order involves logging into our supplier's website and submitting details through about 9 pages. As you can appreciate, this takes a fair amount of time, so requests via ticket will often be done automatically.
Apologies again.
Jojo Smiley