cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: *21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

That would appear to be the case rather than the 17.5Mbps that was mentioned. Maybe that was the attainable rate (depending on modem/router) or perhaps it dropped a touch on the reboot?
herojan
Grafter

Oops, yes I confused the max rate (17.5) with the current sync of 17.3
I;ve rebooted the router, synced again at 17.3
Maybe a small improvement, new speed test:

thanks for all your assistance.
Maybe it's all where it should be after all.
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

Be careful with "rebooting". Depending on the state & length of your line, the exchange DLM (Dynamic Line Managment) may see the loss of sync that occurs with a reboot as a dropped connection and act to "stabilise" the line by raising the Target Noise Margin and so slowing the speed. Also a resync after dark can result in slower speeds on some lines due to increased noise levels from dusk to daylight.
You should avoid a resync unless one is really needed - eg. you have a slow sync speed as a result of an issue (possibly after dark) and a resync in daylight hours may improve the situation.
It's always best to to that "gracefully" by logging into the 582n and in the Internet Box click "Disconnect" which drops the PPP Internet session to Plusnet. then wait about 30 seconds before powering off the modem/router. Stay off for at least 10 minutes. Then power up the 582n. When it's finished booting and all the lights are stable - you may have to login to it and click "Connect" to establish a new PPP session, but you can check the TG582n Full DSL stats
herojan
Grafter

Thanks for the advice, I shall bear that in mind in the future. Looks like I got away with no sync impact this time.
I don't have the plusnet router, I provided my own, the tp-link td-w8970.
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, I don't think that one has a means of dropping the PPP Internet Session, I know some of the TP-Links don't, which is one reason I don't particularly like them. In which case just pull the power plug rather than reboot or unplug from the line.
You can often get away with a "one-off" unless you've had a few drops in a short timescale, or the error levels are very high.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think there's a Disconnect button in the table on the Network -> WAN Settings page.
herojan
Grafter

Yup, it's tucked away under Network but it is there.
it might not have the best interface (or help info) but it's not a bad piece of kit, stable, cannot complain for the price.