cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

JellyTussle

Re: *21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

Hi, new Plusnet user here
My sync speed is 15192, BT Profile is 13.4Mbps, Plusnet current line speed is 12.2Mbps, and speed test maximum is only 11.62Mbps.
Before a reboot and wait, I was only getting 9Mbps on speed test.
Please can this be fixed, I just want the speeds I should be getting and always used to get (very close to the BT IP Profile) without having to monitor it.
Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

That's been sorted for you, we're making some changes imminently to the scripts that action the speed change when needed which should see the correct speed profile applied in a timely manner.
JellyTussle

Many thanks - much appreciated!  Smiley
jim:quote
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've implemented some changes today to how the scripts run, so it would be good to know if you seen an improvement over the coming days/week around this. I'll be monitoring it myself to see if the volume numbers change, so lets hope so!
jack21
Grafter

My own current experience is that the Plusnet Profile does eventually update from the BTW profile, but with a lag of somewhere around 2-4 days........certainly not within 24 hours.
This lag seems to occur for both downward or upward changes.
Jack
offbeatdave
Grafter

Ressurecting this old chestnut!  Tongue
Had to switch off router yesterday morning for last time having done some electrical work over last fortnight. This dropped the sync to 13800 from the usual 16100ish for no more than ten minutes or so. Of course the chuffing PN system decided to kick in and dropped the PN line speed yesterday evening to 12.2 to reflect the very short-lived drop.  Angry
Has PN line speed picked back up to the usual 14.2 yet? Nope.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Despite a sync speed of 16175kbps, both BT's delta reports and a line test I've just conducted tell me that the BT bRAS profile is set to 12228kbps. That's consistent with the profile set at our side.
I've changed the profile at our side to 14.2Mbps, however based on what I've mentioned above, I'm not entirely convinced this is going to help.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi Bob,
There have been a number of incidents over the last couple of months where the bRAS profile has got stuck and some deep pipe cleaning has been required on the BTOR systems.  Chris Pettitt and Adam C might recall the incidents.  The consequence of the issue is that the BT profile does not update in line with the synch speed.
Are you back here for a while?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MichaelBendikas
Grafter

Profile set itself at 4mb however i always sync at around 6.5-7, My bt profile is currently at 6.53 Mbps, however no update on plusnet's side, can i please have this forced changed as my internet has problems if more than one person is online when im at 4mb thanks.
offbeatdave
Grafter

Thanks Bob!
I've changed the profile at our side to 14.2Mbps, however based on what I've mentioned above, I'm not entirely convinced this is going to help

Everything looks fine now to my very untrained eye:
BT reports IP profile as 14.27Mbps, Speedtest.net gives
and pinging bbc.co.uk averages 12ms.
Does this indicate everything is now matched up as it should be?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: offbeatdave
Does this indicate everything is now matched up as it should be?

Looks that way Smiley
Quote from: Michael
Profile set itself at 4mb however i always sync at around 6.5-7, My bt profile is currently at 6.53 Mbps, however no update on plusnet's side, can i please have this forced changed as my internet has problems if more than one person is online when im at 4mb thanks.

I've upped the profile at our side, however according to BT's reports, it was only increased at their side today Huh
Quote from: Townman
Are you back here for a while?

I'll not be around in too great a capacity if that's what you mean, and posting here/elsewhere isn't technically part of my job role these days. I was subscribed to this thread though, saw the email notification and thought I'd do my good deed for the day Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: Bob
I'll not be around in too great a capacity if that's what you mean, and posting here/elsewhere isn't technically part of my job role these days. I was subscribed to this thread though, saw the email notification and thought I'd do my good deed for the day Wink

Hi Bob,
It's always good to see you in here even if its not your job.
Good deed for the day... Sounds like the old cub's motto and bob a job week, but I guess you're too young to remember those days, even though you posonify the ethics of them.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just an update to a change we've made and a further one to come.
Since we pretty much re-wrote the scripts that update your speed profile when we get an update through from BT, we have seen a dramatic improvement in the timings and reliability in this updating.
As the scripts were only run out of office hours we've now changed this slightly so we can try and keep profiles as up to date as we can.
We've already added a further script during the day and an additional one is due to be added in October.
The scripts were running at 5 past 0,3,6,9,18 & 21.
They currently now run at 5 past 0,3,6,9,15,18 & 21. We will be adding an additional script in at 5 past midday, everyday. So, 5 past 0,3,6,9,12,15,18 & 21 this means that every 3 hours we will have a run over the course of the day.
We'll continue to monitor this and if there there room to add more then it will be something that is looked at if it will be beneficial.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Chris Purvey, sound good but there still need to add script onto the member account with the PN IP Profile & BT IP Profile time/date stamped? (I been asked this over and over and over for a long while as Plusnet say last time from Joanne Pilson back in 2012 "We will look into this and will feedback it".
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It would be good, it's not anything that is going to happen straight away though.
Once we're 100% happy with the profiles updating then it's something we can take a look at and see if it is a worthwhile addition.