cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: *21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

We'll never know for sure as one of the way back suggestions of this thread was a time stamp on the profile.
That seems to have died the death as much as any meaningful speed up of profile changes.
It's a shame as this thread started off full of good intentions and plusnet made all the right noises at the start.
But little has come of it otherwise this thread would long dead instead of just the suggestions made on it.
James3

My profile seems to be wrong. It has been stuck at 38.7 for a few days now but the BT Wholesale test shows my IP profile is currently 58.07
Download speed achieved during the test was - 35.63 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-58.07 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 58.07 Mbps
Please could this be corrected.
Thanks
offbeatdave
Grafter

Oo, oo! Improvement!
Drop from profile of 16.7Mb to 16.3M was picked up same day.
Rise from profile of 16.3Mb to 16.4Mb was picked up in a record of under 2.5 days (60 hours). This is the quickest a little rise has been picked up for me over that past few months so either I got lucky or things are looking better.
James3

I have just checked this morning and my profile is back to normal it is now showing as 64.4 Mb.
Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

They have been some changes made to the scripts recently with more to come.
It would be good to see if there's any improvement or not recently for people.

offbeatdave
Grafter

Ha ha! Spoke too soon perhaps! It's just taken the best part of 7 days to pick up a drop by 0.1 back to 16.3Mb, not that such a drop affects me in the slightest.
WWWombat
Grafter

My fibre line used to sync at 80/20, and did so for around 18 months. On September 14th, DLM intervened, and stole around 5Mbps for interleaving. On November 8th, interleaving was removed again and restored a sync of 80/20.
Unfortunately, the Plusnet IP Profile value dropped at some point (I have no idea when), but never restored.
8 days after the modem re-synced, I power-cycled both modem & router, in case a new PPP session was needed to feed the speed data. Still no update.
9 days later, I tried power-cycling the router alone, but this has failed to kick an update off either.
I raised a ticket earlier for this, but it hasn't been actioned yet. But I thought you might like to add this to the pile of evidence.
Note 1: We had a DLM intervention around a year ago - that too took manual intervention to fix.
Note 2: When you give me a standard  IP Profile value of 77.4Mbps, I still get slower download speeds than when I was given one of the fake "unlimited" profile values (was it 20Mbps?). My download tests would come out to be 2-3Mbps slower that way (72Mbps vs 74-75Mbps)... I have one of the SamKnows test boxes, so I get a very good picture of the download speeds.
Is it a deliberate choice to lop 4% or so off the top of throughput speeds? I see that Zen say you can ask for this as an aid to getting VoIP packets through better.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
anoldgeek

My plusnet IP profile seems to have become stuck.
BTW Performance Test shows:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 37.26 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-43.07 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 43.07 Mbps
From plusnet IP profile data transfer speed
  Current line speed:
    39.4 Mb
My modem shows a DSL Uptime of 34 days.
I tried a ppp reconnect yesterday but that did not have any effect.
I have raised a ticket #77932076
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

How long have you been ppp connection for? If it was more than five days then yes it appear to be stuck on plusnet current line profile
martpa

Apologies if the information I want is clearly laid out somewhere but I could not find it.
I find my service plagued by stuck PN profiles, which I used not to get when the profile was clearly set to an artificial value way above the possible sync speed. I suffer from bursts of noice that drop the line speed to 1.2Mbit for no more than half an hour. After that the line normally re-syncs up to 2.9 Mbit at which it will stay for some time. It is set, I think, at a 9dB margin without interleaving. DLM is supposed to be off, certainly the 9dB margin on retrain doesn't increase.
I have to manually reset the router after these noise events and I don't always see them. If one happens and I don't reset it fairly quickly then the PN profile drops to 1.1Mbits and I am stuck. The transition between noisy and not noisy is unpredictable and short so I cannot move the sync speed by more than 250k bits in amount in a stepwise recovery a reliable way. So I cannot nudge the speed at all. It is clear that Delta reports are both lost and filtered but I would like more details on how this works so that I can understand what I need to do to stand a better chance of not falling into the stuck profile trap. The BT profile from the tester is 2.56Mbit under normal circumstances which seems reasonable. The net result is that the profile logic forces the speed in one direction only with the type of noise I have, at that is down to a minimum speed.
Does the PN system rely on delta state changes which come from a source that can lose them?
Under what circumstances are the delta reports known to be lost lost?
Do the Delta reports come from the OR system without filtering, if not what algorithm is applied?
You have posted script run times in the past; are they still valid?
When the script runs what algorithm is applied in the case of multiple entries for a single lline?
Does PN discard changes during the script run for any reason?
What steps are taken to audit the PN cap? Are average line speeds calculated for each line from the Delta report out-turn speeds and compared to the current profile to identify stuck profiles?
Why do you not provide a web service to allow users with this problem to  manually cause an interrogation of the OR system and reset the PN profile?
I am moving to VDSL2 shortly and hope that will move me away from the noise spectrum that is causing this problem but I fear that it may just have different noise sources and I will be plagued by the same PN profile system which appears costly for PN and annoying to customers. Please help me to understand!
PS yes it is stuck now!
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: martpa
DLM is supposed to be off

Didn't know it can be turned it off. As last time I spoken to the fault team with supplier, they say that DLM cannot be turned off or disabled, it out of their control.
martpa

Just to correct #804 references to OR should have been BTW for 21CN ADSL2+
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@anoldgeek
I've just updated your profile to bring that inline. Any issues just let us know.
@martpa
We might not be able to provide you with answers to everything you've asked there but I'll make sure we're addressing what we can for you.
Does the PN system rely on delta state changes which come from a source that can lose them?

Yes, our system uses BT's delta reports.
Does PN discard changes during the script run for any reason?

No, we should always be mirroring any changes at all to the BT speed profile.
Why do you not provide a web service to allow users with this problem to  manually cause an interrogation of the OR system and reset the PN profile?

That would be a very big development project indeed, IMHO we'd be much better focusing on resolving any issues we can with the automated updates rather than developing anything new for that
PS yes it is stuck now!

Not any more Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

What about that DLM - can it be turned off or disabled?
martpa

@goldenadsl
Welll I asked for it but you said it isn't possible so I was mistaken on that. The point I was making was that it is not the effect of DLM that is driving the speed down, and the PN profile with it, because the margin on retrain is not going up, at least  at the rate faults are presently occuring.
@_Adam_Walker_
Thanks for that, answers about the processing of events inside PN would perhaps help me to see the best response to drops to allow the system to detect changes upwards more reliably.