cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: *21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

To stop this clashing with other scripts that are run on the hour, so just a 5 minute delay.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think he meant the BT end Chris.
I thought similar when I looked, but the times will actually avoid most instances where OR etc may be working on lines, end users connections and so on, so temporary poor results whilst work is in hand won't get propagated. Of course those on 21CN will benefit most, 20CN users are still stuck with lengthy BT IP Profile update times though  Cry  unless [dreaming] ....  Roll_eyes
Maybe BT generate Delta reports more frequently, just not propagating them to Plusnet except at the stated times.
Anyway that's my theory, I don't know if any of the Chris's can enlighten us -
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The delta reports should be generated within an hour of a re-sync event, we then have two separate process, one to download them and the second is to upload them to our systems.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Are you saying if my BT IP Profile is set at 16.3Mb and Plusnet IP Profile will be 17.3Mb?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

No, I'm not sure what's given you that impression?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Some staff told me over the phone last week they would prefer to put 1Mb higher than BT one is better for throughput speed.
Anotherone
Champion

Well whoever said that is talking rubbish and the net result would be you would probably end up with dropped packets at random because data was being sent faster than your line could handle. That would do your streaming, VoIP and other real-time stuff the world of good  Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

@chrispurvey
Thanks for the detailed replies.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

oh right. I had checked mine as my BT say 16.3Mb and my Plusnet say 16.3Mb as it all matched. Throughput isn't bad at 15.3Mb

I think I been connected stable over 5 days now with SNR of 1dB?
Anotherone
Champion

Blimey, you are doing well to hold that speed if you have that 1db margin all the time. I suppose that says something about the DGND3700v2  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It was the 0:05, 3:05, 6:05, 17:05, 20:05 that I was querying.
If BT generate delta reports throughout the day within an hour of a resync, I can't see why you are not updating your side during the day. For anyone powering up their router at the start of the day, say between 8am and 10am and powering off around teatime it guarantees their current line speed will be wrong for most of the time, OK from day to day it is likely to be similar, but it will rarely be right.
Given that a lot of people are at work during the day and so won't be rebooting routers, and lines are generally more stable during the day so won't be resyncing because the noise margin has gone low, the number of events is going to be lower during the day anyway. So it can't be because of avoiding the processing load during the day. All you are doing is triggering a lot of current line speed updates at the very time lots of people will be going on-line (18:05).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
Blimey, you are doing well to hold that speed if you have that 1db margin all the time. I suppose that says something about the DGND3700v2  Smiley

Yes it been holding steady 1dB for five days! That router is pretty good.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: jelv
It was the 0:05, 3:05, 6:05, 17:05, 20:05 that I was querying.
If BT generate delta reports throughout the day within an hour of a resync, I can't see why you are not updating your side during the day. For anyone powering up their router at the start of the day, say between 8am and 10am and powering off around teatime it guarantees their current line speed will be wrong for most of the time, OK from day to day it is likely to be similar, but it will rarely be right.
Given that a lot of people are at work during the day and so won't be rebooting routers, and lines are generally more stable during the day so won't be resyncing because the noise margin has gone low, the number of events is going to be lower during the day anyway. So it can't be because of avoiding the processing load during the day. All you are doing is triggering a lot of current line speed updates at the very time lots of people will be going on-line (18:05).

The scripts that run do process a LOT of data, it's something that we are looking at though. The reason that it isn't done this way at present is due to load amount with everything else that is running during the day and being used, this can have an impact on our systems across our support centre.
Anotherone
Champion

Bob told me about that a long time ago  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can you not set priorities on tasks? Surely the optimum would be to set it to run more frequently as a low priority background activity. That way it doesn't interfere with everything else and people get their correct speeds in a timely manner.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)