cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

WWWombat
Grafter

Re: *21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

Quote from: Joanne
Hi WWWombat,
I've dropped a ticket to that account now.

Thanks Jojo, that had the desired effect...
However, the sync didn't last more than another day; right now I'm synced at 13,772, with a BT profile of 12150, and have been like that for 3 days now. The Plusnet profile has remained at 13.1Mbps, instead of following the BT one.
Not the direction I'd have liked, but better for my line (which was hanging on with SNRMs of 0.5dB overnight, but getting a lot of errors). Although I've still accumulated some 65,000,000 FEC and 2,000 CRC in the 75 hours.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

For more than 30 days my connection had been stable with a sync of 18107, and a Plusnet profile of 16 Mb (manually set earlier by Jojo, and ever so slightly higher than I might have expected to be set automatically). Around 14th Jan (towards the end of that 30 days uninterrupted uptime) my Plusnet profile actually did reduce slightly to 15.9 Mb, which then offered me some reassurance that things might finally be working automatically and correctly.

Not sure if it was a consequence of the above observation, or a coincidental DLM attempt to test my line with a minimum 3dB SNR (reduced from 6dB) after 30 days of stable connection, but the 15th Jan brought about 3 dropped PPP sessions and one resync - with the new 3dB SNR and (still current) higher sync of 20159. (I did have one further dropped PPP session at 8.23 am on 16th Jan which strangely seemed to be triggered exactly whilst I was attempting to login via telnet).

Line stability seems to have returned again now (even with the reduced SNR). At the time of posting my DSL uptime is 2 days, 22:46:23 whilst my internet uptime is 2 days, 4:12:48. My sync remains at 1,191 (up) / 20,159 (down), and a BT SpeedTest at 11 am today reports my IP Profile as 17785 Kbps. But the Plusnet current line speed seems slow to catch up, still being reported as 15.9 Mb.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI caulbox,
I've upped your profile to 17700 and used the example, thank you.
Jojo Smiley
dfunked
Grafter

Quote from: dfunked
I've been synced at a tiny bit under 4088 for over 7 days now and plusnet's speed of 3.6 is spot on by my calculations... However it took around 2 days for the plusnet current line speed to catch up (account username is Teaser in case you need to look into it further)

If you need any more live examples, my connection seems to be playing catch up again since the above was posted...
After a series of power cuts on Tuesday evening, mine came back up with a sync rate of 4,199 (woohoo!!)
Uptime is now 1 day, 8:53:27, BT speedtest shows an IP profile of 3,704, but my "current line speed" is still at 3.6
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

BT profile 6814 for over 3 days. Plusnet still on 6500.
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've upped your profile to 17700 and used the example, thank you.

Thanks Jojo. I didn't respond immediately to confirm higher speeds after my profile was updated for two reasons. Prior to the update my router's event log had been very quiet, concerned solely with routine logging of hourly synchronisation events. But within minutes of the new PPP session that introduced my updated profile (commencing Jan 18 14:30 using gateway pcl-ag08) my event log became over-busy for a few hours with several firewall icmp checks (Type: Time Exceeded Code: Time to Live exceeded in Transit). And whilst my speeds had increased, a 'feel' of quite jerky behaviour then ensued. Webpages were noticeably more sluggish to load, 'stutters' were apparent during some speedtest measurements,  and I got some of my worst ever pingtest.net results - though 30 seconds later (using the same pingtest server) I might be back with (near perfect) A grade results.
I've just noticed this morning that for whatever reason I had another resync yesterday at 13:39 (it was shaken, not stirred). I'm currently syncing at 1,208 (up) / 20,063 (down), still with a 3dB SNR, though my attenuation has returned to it's former 20.0 dB (had briefly been 19.5 dB since the resync on 15th Jan). I'm now using gateway pcl-ag02, and 'touch wood' this is indeed the fastest and smoothest connection that I've ever had. Coincidentally, a BT SpeedTest at 6 am this morning, gives me a profile which perfectly matches my Plusnet current line speed at 17700. Do I escape the cut with a 77 and the last two rounds remaining?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

dfunked and billnotben, thanks for the examples.
caulbox, glad it's performing well now.
Quote from: caulbox
Do I escape the cut with a 77 and the last two rounds remaining?

Please don't use golf terminology, it's likely to confuse me! Wink
Jojo Smiley
hitachi
Grafter

After a router change 2 days ago the line synched at  21537,the bt profile is 19001 but plusnet line speed remains at 16.5.
billnotben
Community Veteran

BT profile 6814 approaching five days. Plusnet still on 6500.
I think I'll just drop the internet connection tonight to see is that will wake up what needs waking up.
Never waited this long when the old system was in place.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

BT Profile 15046K Sync 17054K PN Profile still at 13.6 Mb (but it doesn't bother me as I got throughput speed of 14.9 Mb and PN Profile isn't working to cap at 13.6 Mb!)
billnotben
Community Veteran

Funny after dropping the internet connection I now have the same effect as goldenadsl.
Plusnet still showing 6500 but now the speedtests are showing a 500 jump compared to what they were. So despite the stationary Plusnet speed setting the throughput is now up to what it should be according to BT.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Another one to brighten Jojo's monday morning if she is still collecting them:
After 4 days 3 hours of unbroken connection, BT profile 8602Kbps, PN profile 8.8MB/s (by no means insisting you manually lower it because I always live in hope of higher syncs!)  Cheesy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks guys,
I'll continue to collect them until it's sorted. Also, as far as getting higher than our profile, I'm not convinced. I've seen these kind of results before and they do tend to be anomalies. Mind you, if you're happy then I'm not going to burst your bubble Smiley
Jojo Smiley
hitachi
Grafter

Quote from: hitachi
After a router change 2 days ago the line synched at  21537,the bt profile is 19001 but plusnet line speed remains at 16.5.

It is now 4 days with no change to the plusnet line speed.
CX
Grafter

Also, as far as getting higher than our profile, I'm not convinced. I've seen these kind of results before and they do tend to be anomalies

Not wishing to clutter up this thread (since you requested not), but I want to point out that in my experience Google Chrome gives odd results on both speedtest.net and mybroadbandspeed.co.uk sometimes way over what would be possible even without any profiles or overheads. So if people are seeing "higher than profile" results, and they're using Chrome, they should test again in a different browser. Firefox gives correct numbers. Using wifi or homeplugs can give bad results no matter what browser.
The other anomaly is the "fast" vs "slow" session issue that some of us have seen, and this occurs in any browser.