cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

offbeatdave
Grafter

Re: *21CN ONLY* Do you think your PN profile is not updating as it should?

Amidst all those posts about fibre woes (Only 32Mb instead of 37Mb, 62Mb instead of 72Mb etc, etc  Wink Oh for it to ever reach this part of the country!) I was just running a BT test with a view to resurrecting this old chestnut and someone has beaten me to it half an hour ago
Not moaning or requesting any manual updating as it doesn't make any difference to my real-world performance but...

• A couple of weeks ago (ish) a drop in my sync lowering the IP Profile from 16.7Mb to 16.2Mb was picked up very quickly by the PN Line Speed system, possibly even later in the actual day it happened.

• Almost a week ago (ish) a climb in IP Profile from 16.2Mb to 16.39Mb still hasn't registered with the PN Line Speed system.

I guess the system either is quicker to pick up drops or, if I've skim-read stuff above correctly, bigger changes are picked up quicker.  Huh
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

@ejs
I've aligned your prolife to match, your sync speeds has fluctuated recently and there have been a couple of updates that have not been applied to your line.
@offbeatdave
I've also bumped your profile up too, again it seems the latest one was missed.
We have an open problem(Ref 75634) for this and it's something that I'm trying to get prioritised.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I heard BT isp doesn't have any ip profile on their side. They leave it to BT System. The three isp's doing the same. Can't Plusnet do it one day?
Anonymous
Not applicable

My understanding is that ISPs are REQUIRED to NOT exceed the sustainable data rate that the individual customers lines can withstand.
This is because the telephone exchanges do NOT have data buffers, and therefore customers will suffer significant packet loss (and therefore loss of bandwidth), if too much data arrives too quickly.
In addition, Plusnet take advantage of this profile REQUIREMENT, by using it to prioritize customer traffic, so that the user gets a better internet experience than if the traffic was left unmanaged.
The only problem with this scheme, is that inexplicably Plusnet seem incapable of getting everyone's profile to update as it should.  If that ever gets fixed, then the system will be fine.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Mine never work. It always updated by plusnet staffs.
offbeatdave
Grafter

Quote from: chrispurvey
@offbeatdave
I've also bumped your profile up too, again it seems the latest one was missed.

Very kind thank you! As I say, these days I've learnt that little changes such as these don't affect my online experience.
We have an open problem(Ref 75634) for this and it's something that I'm trying to get prioritised.

Nice to hear. I'm sure there are probably more pressing issues, but I guess people badly affected will be pleased to know it's not been forgotten.
offbeatdave
Grafter

For casual observers/staff reference:
Please do not manual update my profile. I want to see how long it takes but...
...the issue is still ongoing; On Wednesday I noticed my SNR Margin was running at 3.9dB (target 3dB) so a quick resync later and my IP profile was up to 16.75Mb from 16.3Mb. It is now a full 4 days later and the PN system hasn't caught up yet! As always, I'd like to stress that it doesn't bother me at these speeds, but the system still isn't doing what it should.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

In my experience, if it didn't happen when it was supposed to, it never will. So you'll be waiting for something that's not going to happen.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It's all very variable.
Last drop took less than a day. Going up took just over two days.
I could live with that if it was constant.
offbeatdave
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
...if it didn't happen when it was supposed to, it never will. So you'll be waiting for something that's not going to happen.

Yay! Updated sometime between 11pm last night and 7am this morning, which at that time I presume was of it's own accord. So just over four days this time.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you checked if you've had another resync that perhaps triggered it?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

It seems your profiles are now set correctly, hopefully we'll have some progress on this soon. I'll keep you posted on any updates.
Grafter

My PN profile now changes fairly quickly after a re-sync (daily). My modem/router re-syncs quite often due to me having a fixed SNR of 3 following a trial a few years ago. Is PlusNet yet in a position to provide an update on this problem?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Congratulations.  Smiley
This thread has entered the Top 10 Topics (by Replies)
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

are the profile updated more quickly now from plusnet side?