cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 routers 2 problems

TonyPhotoplus
Grafter

2 routers 2 problems

I have 2 routers, one wirless netgear plugged into the main comp and the BT Voyager which comes with the package deal.  I have recently been trying to use both as I am running a photo club I managed to get hold of some old computers and beefing them up and installing Ubuntu and Xubuntu on. (Xubuntu is great for older machines by the way)  There is a conflict when I use both routers in that the Netgear won't logon and Firefox and emails won't load, on the other hand the other router I have setup temp is working fine.  Why don't I just add the cables to the netgear I hear you ask?  One is upstairs - the main comp - I am working on the others downstairs and they don't have wireless on them, just cables USB or LAN.  I need to work with both is there any tweaking I can do that will assist me?
Looking forward to your replies
Thanks
Tony
6 REPLIES 6
itsme
Grafter

Re: 2 routers 2 problems

I assume that you are referring to adsl modem/routers and that both are plugged into the telephone line. The simple answer is that you can't use them on the same line. You may be able to use them individually without unplugging them from the line but they willl not work at the same time.
TonyPhotoplus
Grafter

Thanks, I thought so, but wasn't to sure. 
Tony
artificer
Grafter

you can link one in as a switch only, to get the benefit of the four ethernet ports.
oliverb
Grafter

If you want to use a router as a switch/hub you should turn off DHCP on it so it won't conflict with the main router.
MickKi
Grafter

You should be able to set one up as a wirelles repeater or bridge to the other.
Hope this helps.
TonyPhotoplus
Grafter

Thanks for the tips will try and sort it out but will now have to be done later.  But, it will have to be sorted at some time
Tony