cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.5MBS download speed

Tony1964
Hooked

2.5MBS download speed

Can you please check my Mum's line as her download speed is painfully slow. I just did a broadband speed check and it was only 2.5mbs download speed.

Many thanks,

Tony

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: 2.5MBS download speed

@Tony1964 Is your mum on ADSL or Fibre? I have also asked that personal details be removed.

John
Tony1964
Hooked

Hi John, she is on ADSL.

Thanks,

Tony

jab1
Legend

OK Tony - you won't get staff on it tonight, but I will post my standard help guide to give you a chance to attempt to help yourself:

If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.Sight of the HelpDesk page, under the Troubleshooting tab on your router homepage - with personal information redacted - is very useful.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

It may be an idea to also report your lines capabilities - please post your results from THIS site, but ensure your phone number is obscured/hidden.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

If you decide to also post on the Twitter/Facebook accounts and get a response from there, please come back here and say so.

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Plusnet Feedback to ADSL Broadband.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Tony1964,

Thanks for reaching out to us and I'm sorry to hear about your Mum's experience. I've taken a look into the account and upon testing the line I can see that everything appears to be performing as we'd expect, with the download speed currently reaching the router at a rate of 5.2Mbps. Whilst this may not seem like much, this is towards the high end of the estimated speeds on the current ADSL line. If she feels like this speed doesn't suit her needs, it may be worth considering upgrading to Fibre, which would be estimated to achieve a download speed between 54Mbps-74Mbps.

As for what can be done to improve the current connection, I would advise connecting via Ethernet cable wherever possible and checking out this guide for tips on how to make the most out of the Wi-Fi signal.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Tony1964 

Hmmm ... I think we need to do a proper self help job on this.  Would I be correct in guessing that your mum normally sees better than 2.5mbps?

It can be difficult to get traction on speed issues where the experienced speed is better than BTOR's minimum speed.  Are you able to visit you mum's to gather some information please?

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

NB: Please use an Edge browser or IE as there have been many reports that others fail to function correctly when accessing the BTw speed test.

Speed tests are useful, but when wanting to understand what is going wrong, we need to focus on the router stats first.  That eliminates any and all discussion of WiFi vs Ethernet connectivity being involved in the issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

The OP hasn't been back since just turned midnight, @Townman , and didn't respond to my original request for data.

John