cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4gHz or 5gHz

purple_dragon

2.4gHz or 5gHz

How do I know whether I'm on 2.4gHz or 5gHz? I can't seem to find out.

4 REPLIES 4
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: 2.4gHz or 5gHz

purple_dragon

Hi there! Thank you for your speedy response.

How do I go about checking my settings (I'm not really internet-settings minded) - I ask because I'm looking in to getting a wifi booster to solve a little internet black hole in my house and there's one I've seen that isn't dual banded, 2.4gHz only. Would this work with the plusnet hub one?

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What router are you currently using? If it's a Plusnet Hub One then you can establish which devices are connected to which Wi-Fi radio by browsing to http://192.168.1.254.

No reason why a 2.4GHz extender wouldn't work but you should be mindful of the limitations. 2.4GHz is slower, has better reach but is susceptible to interference if there are a lot of competing Wi-Fi/Bluetooth signals in the vicinity. 5GHz is faster, less congested but doesn't reach as far due to the shorter wavelength.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

purple_dragon

Yes I am using plusnet hub one, I checked out all the information on that link you posted for me. It IS dual banded - I am also in a top floor single bedroom flat, I've just got a rather hefty wall to contend with so no floor or anything. I obviously want to avoid congestion but am concerned about the reach of the 5. 

my ps4 is on a wired connection (ethernet) so I'm assuming that wouldn't class as congestion of wifi as it's not using wifi. How short would we be talking for wavelength for the 5? There is some info on the page for the booster I've got my eye on - "With AC speeds of up to 300Mbps on 2.4GHz and 867Mbps on 5GHz, replace dead zones with strong, fast Wi-Fi in every room."