Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 hours to upload file

julianhadlow
Grafter

18 hours to upload file

Hello,
I just changed to the new "Unlimited" package, after being shown a graph that intimated that all my speeds would be unrestricted.
Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case. My FTP upload speed is currently around 51 kb/s which is pathetically slow. This means that a single video file of 3.17gb is currently taking 18 hours to upload.
At one time my FTP upload was unbundled or unthrottled (I don't remember which now) because of these really poor speeds previously.
I need FTP upload to run at full speed as I was expecting when I transferred to the new package. In fact, there doesn't seem to be much improvement in speed on anything so far.
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: 18 hours to upload file

Are you sure it's 51kb/s not 51KB/s? I'd expect a 3GB file to take around 15/16 hours at the standard upload speed of 448kb/s (which is pretty close to 51KB/s).
We can try uncapping your upload, which will allow it to run at up to 1Mb/s, but you'd still be looking at several hours to upload a file of that size.
Let us know if you'd like the uncapped upload and we'll place the order.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
julianhadlow
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Yes, please uncap it. It used to be that way anyhow.
Still 1 meg is not good. Why is your FTP so slow?
I used broadband in the USA recently and everything runs at the same speed.
Chris
Legend

It's nothing to do with FTP, it's the upload speed of the service. On ADSL2+ the upload can be capped at 448kb/s or uncapped where it goes to 1Mb/s. If you want more than this on a residential service, you really need to be looking at Fibre if it's available. It's the same across pretty much any ISP as the wholesale service is at those speeds.
Fibre is actually available in your area and the estimates for you are pretty good (53.3Mb download speed and 15.7Mb upload).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Bad news I'm afraid, your line is already uncapped and connecting at 492Kb/s.
However looking at your line stats, you're not getting anywhere near your downstream estimate speed. Are you currently connected into the master socket (first socket the line comes into at your premises)?
I'd suggest going through the troubleshooting steps at faults.plus.net and we'll see if we can get any improvement for you.
julianhadlow
Grafter

Oh dear. I've run into speed issues so many times with yourselves, both http and FTP at this, and my previous address.
Always when I phone I'm asked the same questions re being plugged into the main socket etc, which it is, and also to change the filter with no avail every time too.
Anyhow, I will try the faults.plus.net site.
This is most disappointing...
Chris
Legend

Just to be clear, the speed problems you're seeing are *not* related to any traffic management on our side. These are due to the connection speeds between your router and the local exchange.
Once you've answered the questions on the faults checker, let us know and we'll get someone to take a look.
julianhadlow
Grafter

Hi again Chris,
Thanks for the reply.
The line has just gone down, and the upload that has been running for a few hours now has of course just gone down in flames...
OK, so I did the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test, and the results are:
Download Speed (Mbps): 2.56
Upload speed (Mbps): 0.37
Ping Latency: 71.25
julianhadlow
Grafter

I also just updated the modem firmware of my TG582n-PS (without USB port) to 10.2.2.B
The speeds are now:
Download Speed (Mbps): 2.85
Upload speed (Mbps): 0.21
Ping Latency: 45.38
Where do we go from here?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Complete the fault checker, if you don't they can't take it further to BT.  So longer you delay the longer it's not fixed, just don't expect a miracle, it won't be today or tomorrow.  They have to book a Open Reach[retch] engineer to manually check your socket/line/cabinet in the street and or possibly at the exchange.
Suspect you are just on a poor phone line and will be moved to another at the cabinet too the exchange, if there are spares.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
julianhadlow
Grafter

Thanks Gus. I completed the fault checker just a short while go. Hopefully something will get done now.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We've logged the fault with our suppliers, once we've got  an further update we'll be back in-touch.
julianhadlow
Grafter

Hi again Chris,
I got an email from yourselves asking me to state a time for a visit. I mentioned that afternoons are best but to avoid 19-21st October inclusive.
I got a reply form your automated service stating you don't like emails, so I filled in the online form in the members area to update my case, but so far I have not heard from yourselves.
Any news when I can expect the problem to be sorted?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've got that updated for you, hope that helps.