cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

11.00am and speed no higher than 450kbps

vof
Grafter

Re: 11.00am and speed no higher than 450kbps

My apologies to everyone concerned - I have discovered the cause of my abysmally slow speeds and PN are completely exonerated.
My story points up the risk of not examining every possible cause of your symptoms. In my case, I had fairly recently upgraded my router firmware to the latest version with lots of fixes and *assumed* it would perform no worse than the previous version. My router is a 3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Firewall Router 3CRWDR101A-75 and I upgraded from firmware version 1.10.00.A (22 May 2007) to 1.12.01.A (June 2009).
In preparation tonight for raising a ticket with PN and a possible problem with BT, I decided to check that the problem was still present if I used another of the same model of router connected directly into the internal socket of my NTE5 box with no phones connected. The My Broadband Speed Tester ran at my normal speed without showing any hiccups or hesitations. By a process of elimination, I discovered that the problem lay in router #1 and the only difference between the two routers was their firmware versions. I reflashed router #1 back to the previous firmware version and my problem has gone.
Apologies once again to everyone for the wild goose chase. I will now be having words with 3Com...
vof
[I have just checked the 3Com website and discovered they have withdrawn the 1.12.01.A firmware version!]