cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1000 hour PPP session - is this a record?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

1000 hour PPP session - is this a record?

Well almost certainly not a record but I thought a connection time of over 1015 hours was noteworthy.  This is recorded by my Netgear router, which I previously established resets the clock whenever a new PPP session begins.  Some while ago there was a thread on whether PPP sessions have a lease time.  Considered opinion is that they do not and my evidence would seem to support that.
7 REPLIES 7
steveuk
Grafter

Re: 1000 hour PPP session - is this a record?

PPP sessions have a lease time<<< i hope this is not the case because i do not want my net to keep changing on its own and it never did this on my o2 adsl2+ connection, I had uptimes of months inless i restarted the router.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

When I was on the old fixed speed 2mbit connection on IPstream, my then router would only drop connection when I rebooted it after 6 weeks.  If I left it too long it would eventually crash
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
picbits
Rising Star

I had around 200 days of uptime with BE with no disconnects. The router was on a UPS too so not sure if that helped.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

If they did have some sort of "lease time", I would think there would be some facility to renew or extend your current lease.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Let's be clear, I do not believe PPP sessions have a lease time.  1015 hours is over 42 days (six weeks) so I have a long way to go before reaching picbits' 200 day record.
Unfortunately, although I have a UPS, it does not respond fast enough to prevent my router from briefly disconnecting in the event of a power cut.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That seems a bit of a fundamental fault, having a UPS that isn't fast enough to maintain it's own output on a power drop !  Shocked
What model is it ?    Undecided
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: picbits
I had around 200 days of uptime with BE with no disconnects.

My Be connection is currently at 850 hours which is nothing remarkable at all. Only 35 days.
I vaguely recall having to unplug it for some reason at the end of January.
I've seen it around a year before now.  Cool
It's running DGTeam firmware which seems to be more stable than the vanilla Netgear it would otherwise have.