cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

:0( Please Help!

kinkyklo27
Dabbler

:0( Please Help!

I have purchased broadband through Plusnet. I have got a wireless box because my computer is not near my phone portal.
I cannot connect to the internet through my wireless box.
I have spent hours on the phone to the customer help to be told many times that they 'have no clue what is wrong' and then to top it all off last night they said 'we are not here to fix your wireless problems!' I have had the worst service with the company but I'm determined to try and get it to work.
Ok so this is the story so far……..I've had it over a month now and it still doesn’t work.
The fault originally said that it couldn’t 'acquire a network address'. Finally we got passed that stage and it said 'connected' - brilliant! - I tried getting an internet page up and it 'couldn’t be displayed'
I can connect fine and display a page using the Ethernet cable but its not an easy task - as I have to have wires across the whole of my lounge, up my stairs and into my room - not really practical!
I have no security because its run out and I need to be able to get online to update it and the firewalls are all turned off - therefore its not that. The signal strength is full and there is nothing electronic in the way. Its not my PC settings because when my boyfriend tried on his laptop it does the same - it said 'connected to BT Voyager…. Then when you load a page it said something like, 'it is connected to BT voyager but cannot make a connection to bring up a web page. '
The security key is right because when typed in, it says 'connected' (rather than this is not a valid key) - then once you load the page, that’s when its says 'its linked to the wireless but not connected!'
I have also tried doing - tools, internet options, connection, LAN settings and all boxes are un-ticked as they asked me to do. I have tried typing in 'ping www.plus.net'; in the black box and she told me that, that would say 'pinging' but nothing happened other than it saying 'error!'
I have tried a few other things too, as suggested by the customer help.
I am having to get permission from my bosses at work to use their internet to keep sending plus.net emails and also to post this, so if anyone does come up with any suggestions then thank you very much and I'll try and get back to you ASAP.
Oh also I have tried starting again and making a new wireless connection - on the wireless setup on my computer but it wont let me! It says something like 'please refer to Microsoft manual for more help, this may not work.' even though it says it may not work - it wont even let me try!
Thanks for your help.
26 REPLIES 26
James
Grafter

Re: :0( Please Help!

Hi there,
Sorry to hear that you are having a spot of bother!
Can I ask you a couple of questions?
Which model of the Voyager is it?  Is it 2091 or 2110?
Can you access http://voyager.home ?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: kinkyklo27
I have purchased broadband through Plusnet. I have got a wireless box because my computer is not near my phone portal.
I cannot connect to the internet through my wireless box.

Since you can access the internet via ethernet, your PlusNet internet connection is working. Therefore the fault lies with your wireless configuration (probably on the router).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Emma
Grafter

The problem is that the pc states its connected to the router, gives an online time like a wireless connection should.
Then when you go to internet explorer the page does not display, no firewall, no proxy settings etc.
Ping doesn't work either which shows its not connected. The laptop states the wireless code is wrong.
Hope this helps someone to assist the OP.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I think this could be simply because the wireless security is not set up correctly on the machines in question, my router at home does a similar thing. If you don't enter the wireless key or enter it wrong it will show as connected to the router but won't allow any external throughput.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Have you tried disabling the wireless security and then trying. When I set these things up, I always set them up first with no security, then I know they are working, then set up the wireless security, when everything is OK. If this does not work, it may be worthwhile starting from scratch again. Not sure if there are any guides to setting up wireless on the portal, if there are I am sure someone more knowledgeable can point you in the right direction.
kinkyklo27
Dabbler

Thanks for your all the posts so far.
My make is BTvoyager 2110.
It has let me on before on the laptop and said previously that the security code IS right and the problem STILL existed so i'm not sure that, that is the problem.
I i'll try later though to be able to narrow that out.
Not applicable

I was new to wireless connection at the beginning of this year and found it very complicated so I do sympathise with kinkyklo. My own problem was sorted out easily and quickly by telephoning the router manufacturer - I have a Lynksys model and the CS are fantastic - all on 0800 too! Might this be a way forward?
If they hadn't been so helpful I would have had a technician out to visit, as we did for my friend (worth every penny).
dennisb66
Grafter

Hi KinKyklo,I had this same problem when I bought a laptop
    Quote The security key is right because when typed in, it says 'connected' (rather than this is not a valid key) - then once you load the page, that’s when its says 'its linked to the wireless but not connected!'unquote.
  I disabled the laptop wireless then reset it,every thing was then ok. I think this is your best bet as I really do think that your security is not set up correctly,even though it says connected.Good luck.
Dennis
kinkyklo27
Dabbler

'I disabled the laptop wireless then reset it,every thing was then ok. I think this is your best bet as I really do think that your security is not set up correctly,even though it says connected.Good luck.'
That was something i wanted to try but for some reason it wont let me start again. I want to be able to 'set up a new wirelss connection' on my PC but it will not let me do it.
it gets half way throguh and says 'sorry windows may not be able to do this see windows document.....etc etc' Even though it says it 'may not' it wont ven let me try.
It such a pain.
And to reply to all of you that have said it looks like a problem with the router......I have said this may times to plusnet. I have been promised a new one a few times but then every time they say... 'just try this first' so I do and then when i call back they will not send me a new one!
Thanks so much for all your posts it really is helpful.
Not applicable

I've had occasions in the past where an invalid WEP key results in symptoms as described, ie shows as connected, but won't actually connect to the net.
The easiest way to check if this is happening is for you to run ipconfig /all.
Click <Start> , <Run> then type
cmd
and hit <Return>. When the command prompt opens, type
ipconfig /all

Copy and paste the results here.
kinkyklo27
Dabbler

I did do that when one of the service guys was on the phone but i cant remember the outcome!
I'll do it tonight and paste here tomo!
Thanks for the help
kinkyklo27
Dabbler

Im so sorry it had taken so long to reply!
I've been so busy at work I didnt get chance to use their internet!
Anyway....i will copy and paste the above in a post below in a minute.
Just to update you: As suggested previously, I have tried to start again and start fresh with a new wireless connection:
I have now gone back to my original problem!
Its now saying 'low connectivity,' again the signal strength is full etc.
Now last time this happened i called plus net and they then got me passed this stage but then i got stuck at the next stage of  -  ' this computer is connected to btvoyager 2210-2b but does not have acces to the internet.'
I called plus net to see if they could get me passed this stage again so I would b back to where i started and could continue from here.
He couldnt help.
So..........any ideas?!
As i said this is now the original problem NOT the one i first started posting about.
here goes the new post!.
Thanks
kinkyklo27
Dabbler

ok this is the ipconfig/all page:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\Chloe>ipconfig/all
Windows IP Configuration
        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : D92VW81J
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
        Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
roller
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-1F-58-C8-5E
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 6:
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : (ZD1211B)IEEE 802.11 b+g USB Adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-72-66-B7-C2
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
        Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.90.70
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
C:\Documents and Settings\Chloe>

Now when i try to connect it says:
limtied connectivity: this problem occured because the
network did not assgin a network address to the computer.
Now as i said last time i think the plus net guy forced a network address (i cant remember how) and then thats when it chaged to the problem i started this post with!
I did take screen shots so i could load them but i copied them into a word document and it wont let me upload them! if anyone wants to see them i can always email them.
Thanks for your help
decomplexity
Rising Star

The 169.254.90.70 address an 'APIPA' address which Windows uses when:
a. it has DHCP (dynamic address allocation) enabled but either cannot find a DHCP server to allocate it an address or can find the DHCP server but the latter will not allocate an address
or
b. it does not have DHCP enabled and you have not manually allocated an address
Assume that DHCP is enabled on the router (which was probably needed to allow your hardwired connection to work).
Then either your wireless authentication and encryption (security) settings are blocking the allocation of a DHCP address or you are not obtaining an 'association' (authenticated wireless connection).
Please could you confirm that when you switch off all wireless security on both PC and router and (temporarily!) switch off any personal firewall, you are:
- obtaining a working wireless connection (system tray icon or whatever says 'connected' or 'associated')
and
- still getting an APIPA address?

Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017