cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.5 Mb Current Line Speed - Two PCs?

caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: 0.5 Mb Current Line Speed - Two PCs?

Quote from: linux
Perhaps we're confusing actual and theoretical IP profiles. The actual IP profile is obviously limited by the sync speed, but it is not dependent on the sync speed. In other words the two do not move in lockstep. If they did then the OP would not be experiencing throughput problems; his actual IP profile of 500 kbps is nowhere near the theoretical IP profile of 7150 kbps allowed by the 8128 kbps sync speed. Hence the actual IP profile is an artificial cap; the bits travelling down the line are still travelling at 8128 kbps, but the software is capping the IP payload to just 500 kbps instead of allowing the theoretical 7150 kbps.

To be honest that relates to why I expressed some concerns earlier about possible unfair results from a speed test conducted at this time. In the past I've often used the alternative mybroadbandspeed.co.uk for checking my speeds, and the results have hardly fluctuated at all - with my download speed consistently reported as somewhere around 6.5 MB.
Whilst the BT speed test is persisting with errors, I did try another mybroadbandspeed test earlier today. Though my sync speed continues to remain stable at 8128 kbs, I wasn't surprised to see the test results reporting my download speed as just 458 kbs. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it does indeed appear that what is being measured (at least by mybroadbandspeed) is only the throughput speed which is possible whilst "wearing the artificial cap"?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi caulbox,
there was a sync event of 576k on 26/02/2011 at 02:35:36 which caused your profile to be lowered to 500k. As you the synced again to 8128 this should have lifted back up within a few hours normally but it looks as though the profile was stuck. I have just rectified this so your profile should lift again a bit later. I'll check it out again for you this afternoon to make sure it has.
Jojo Smiley
caulbox
Rising Star

Cheers Jojo. At least (I think) that now dispels my related concerns that whatever caused the profile to be lowered might have been correlated with my interchanging connection leads?
I'm curious though....I'm hoping this is just a one-off anomaly. But after a long period of reliable connection, what sort of things are the most likely causes for such a drastic difference resulting in the 576kbs sync event?
Thanks.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Was thunder and lightning about at the time?
Alternatively one can speculate, and I emphasise speculate, that "minor" engineering work was being done in the exchange causing transient disconnections. At the moment ADSL2+ is being set up at my exchange and I've experienced the odd 20CN disconnection usually in the early hours. Fortunately in my case I haven't experienced a low speed sync as a result.
If it is such engineering work the problem is "one off", but if work being done is extensive it could probably happen again.
David
caulbox
Rising Star

I don't think the weather was an issue. But for a couple of long months there's been major utility work digging up the roads in my vicinity? That said, I think all the work was completed about a week ago. I suppose time may tell if your speculation about the possibility of extensive engineering work being done in the exchange has any bearing. Thanks for your comments.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI caulbox,
It's not shifting yet. I've tried resetting to kick it into action but it's not changed yet. I'll test it again later, after corrie... and eastenders... and the 2nd corrie
Jojo Smiley
caulbox
Rising Star

Thanks again Jojo. No real hurry. I'm just grateful it's being attended to....
caulbox
Rising Star

....I'm still on the 0.5 MB profile, but I've just checked my router stats again and noticed that my uptime is now only about 3.5  hrs, with my sync speed remaining at 448 / 8,128 kbs. Accessing the router's Event Log reveals the following recorded events :
Feb 28 16:47:53 xDSL linestate down
Feb 28 16:47:53 GRP Default destination is not routed anymore via gateway xx.xxx.xx.xxx
Feb 28 16:47:53 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules
Feb 28 16:48:07 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 8128 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 12.0 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 16.0 dB, Up: 8.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 12.5 dB, Up: 24.0 dB)
Feb 28 16:48:07 GRP Default destination is routed via gateway xx.xxx.xx.xxx
Feb 28 16:48:07 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): deleted rules
I hope that won't interfere with restoration of my profile. I'm guessing that the events may actually be related with your resetting the profile? But I don't really understand exactly what it's telling me, so I'm posting my observations here again JIC another problem might have arisen?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi caulbox,
I've just checked for you and it's still on 500 I'm afraid. I'll check again in the morning for you, sorry Sad
Jojo Smiley
caulbox
Rising Star

Jojo - Some good news at last (I hope)
My current line speed is now being reported as 7.15 Mb  Cheesy
But not celebrating just yet  Sad
I've just done a couple more 'mybroadbandspeed' checks, and the results are still only averaging 460 kbps download and 375 kbps upload. I suppose it's possible that it'll just take a little while longer now before speeds finally get back to normal.
Edit to add:
On further reflection, I'm venturing to celebrate after all! I'm wondering if everything might be perfectly restored already, with the less than flattering recent speed test results just reflecting normal Value package speed restriction considerations during this peak time of day?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

If the mybroadbandspeed result was around 4000kbps one might be tempted to think it could be peak-time congestion effects, but in my opinion getting around a tenth of that suggests something else. Have you disconnected from Plusnet and reconnected since Current line speed was changed?
The router's web interface can be used to disconnect and reconnect - no need to restart the router (which would involve a re-sync).
David
caulbox
Rising Star

I haven't dis/reconnected since the change, and another quick test - since your post - reveals almost identical speed results (460/352). Please let me re-stress that a lot of this stuff is beyond my limited understanding. But if may attempt to clarify my edited comment above....I was musing as to whether  Plusnet Value download speeds (a.k.a throttling?) could explain the results (rather than "peak-time congestion effects" per se) - if that makes any sense?
caulbox
Rising Star

Cheers spraxyt....Please disregard my last post - I think you hit the nail on the head earlier. My cap's off to you! I've now just disconnected and reconnected as you advised, and I'm pleased to report that immediately after doing so mybroadband speed started giving me much more typical results currently averaging 6,200 kbps download 375 kbps upload at this (still peak) time.
My sincere thanks for the repeated interest shown by yourself and others in my topic, and your help in finally resolving my problem Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Glad to hear the problem is fixed. Smiley
Disconnection from/reconnection to Plusnet is required when Current line speed changes to pick up a new service profile; normally that should happen automatically but it looks like it might not have occurred for you, perhaps due to the methods used to resolve the profile problem you had.
David
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great news, glad all is ok now Smiley