cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.2Mbs Broadband Speed

Ritzy

0.2Mbs Broadband Speed

I have had unusable broadband for a couple months. I have 0.2mb download speed.  It was so bad the other day I had to go out and use free WiFi so that I could use Plusnet chat to ask for help! The line has been checked and is fine, the router is fine and working correctly so what on earth is going on? I’m paying for a service that I’m just not receiving! My signal to noise ratio was increased and it is still unusable! I had to go and sit outside in my car to use my mobile banking app as it’s that bad.  Am I better off just quitting plusnet and finding another provider? 

10 REPLIES 10
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: 0.2Mbs Broadband Speed

Moderator's note:

Post split to its own thread for better visibility.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Have pnet done a line test? A solid 0.2 sounds suspiciously like a banded line to me. I'd give tech support a bell and get them to check it again, assuming that your estimates aren't 0.2! Or any staff floating around good have a glance maybe?
BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Ritzy - have you plugged a network cable into the router to see what speed you get from a wired connection?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hello there, 

I've just been testing your line and there's a fault which is causing the connection to drop. It's dropped to such a degree that automation (DLM) has reduced your speeds right down to 0.2mbps. 

Please report this over at http://faults.plus.net and drop me a reply back here when you have.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Ritzy

[CSA Removed]- CSC Analyst
8:22pm, Sunday 6 May 2018
Dear 

I tried to call you back several times but was not able to get through unfortunately. I left you a voicemail explaining some of the below information.

The outcome of the call listening request is as follows.

It was said on the call that if the engineer said they cannot fix the issue and get your speeds back to where they should be then you could leave your contract without penalty.

As its stands, your speed was improved and is above the Minimum guaranteed Access Line Speed and is performing as expected therefore we would not be able to terminate the contract without termination fees.

I understand that due to the distance you are from the exchange, the speeds that you can achieve are to some extent, barely usable. I would recommend upgrading to Fibre Broadband with us to have an increased broadband speed that would better suit your needs.

If you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to call us on 0800 432 0200.

Kind regards,

[CSA Removed]

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

So in short Plusnet want me to swap to their fibre which is more expensive then competitors and  has poor reviews! Or I can pay to leave the “barely usable” service or keep paying for another 4 months for something I can’t use!

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I wouldn't like to be in your situation @Ritzy Ticked_off

What are the speed estimates for your line if you pop your number into the BT Broadband Availability website?

Ritzy

1mbs max which I don’t get. Best I had was 0.8.  I’ve emailed Ofcom and calling them Tuesday to advise them that Plusnet think having “barely usable “ internet is ok 

Ritzy

Why are you finding a fault yet everyone else including openreach engineer are saying no fault found.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Let's face it, even if you got 1Mbps this will.be considered by most to be barely usable these days. Presumably you were advised of the estimated speed when you signed up. I am not aware that standard broadband and fibre are separately reviewed so don't understand why you think Plusnet fibre will give you any different customer service to what you are getting. It might be worth ringing and ask if they will give you a deal if you swap to fibre.

To my mind, you need to look at what speed you can get on fibre. At the end of the day if you are in a remote area with poor wireless coverage it's probable that you will be stuck with BT infrastructure, so whilst you may get different levels of customer service, you're unlikely to get much if any improvement in speed from changing ISP.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Ritzy

I can see your line is currently in sync at just over 0.9Mbps which is roughly slap bang in the middle of your estimated speed range as set out by our suppliers.

I have checked and it does seem that you are in a fibre enabled area and your line can handle speeds of between 35.5 - 45 Mbps. This is all dependant on things such as distance from your exchange, line quality etc.

It is completely up to you if you wish to upgrade however! Smiley

Let us know if we can do anything for you.

Kind Regards,

Alisdair