Can anyone else beat this download speed - 0.11 Huh
75 REPLIES 75
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: 0.11mbps DOWNLOAD SPEED

Hi baileytech,
Firstly welcome to our community forums.
I've checked your account and line and everything looks fine.
Are you currently connecting wired or wireless?
Chris
baileytech
Grafter

wired ? wireless ?
both the same results
baileytech
Grafter

pc, laptop, iphone
same slow speed
driving me crazy
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi baileytech,
I'm really sorry to hear that you are suffering with such poor speeds.
Could you provide us with a little more information such as your Line Stats: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-faqs.shtml#lineStats
The more we can see, the better Smiley
baileytech
Grafter

RADIUS: Connected for One Day, 1:53:17
0 drops in last 24 hours
14 drops in last 72 hours
13 of 15 (87%) User Req Drops in last 7 days

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 32.5 58
SNR Margin: 8 7
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0 0
Cell Count: 58195608 867406702
Speed: 160 192

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 6240 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 4992
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 86400
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 21600
TAGS: 1-3.5Mb

Pkts Errs Drops Pkts Errs Drops
- 0/38 PPPoA 24200 0 0 20209 0 0
- 0/65 RFC 1483 0 0 0 824 0 0

LAN Statistics
Interface
Received

Transmitted
Bytes Pkts Errs Drops Bytes Pkts Errs Drops
Ethernet 987371 5977 0 0 5980909 6665 0 0
Wireless 4225933 29496 975 975 14881966 21596 191 191

ADSL Statistics
Mode: G.DMT
Type: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 320 kbps 96 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 6.5 8.0
Attenuation (dB): 63.5 31.5
Output Power (dBm): 15.0 12.5

Super Frames: 72505 72505
RS Correctable Errors: 17 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 0

HEC Errors: 0 0
Total Cells: 49372 53464
Data Cells: 180469 53464
Bit Errors: 0 0
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You have a very large attenuation, 63.5dB.  You could not possibly have achieved a Max. Stable Rate of 6240 kbps with that much attenuation so your attenuation must have gone up due to a bad electrical contact.  Maybe the cat chewed through the wire connecting the router to the phone socket, check that.  Maybe your filter has gone bad, try a different one.  Maybe there is a problem with your internal wiring, remove the faceplate from your Master Socket and connect the router to the Test Socket that is behind the faceplate.  In each case, see if your ADSL Statistics change.  Any other improvement, like actual download speed, will take some time to kick-in.  Just see if any change makes your attenuation lower and your downstream rate higher (or your SNR Margin higher if your downstream rate remains the same).
If all this draws a blank then there is most probably a fault on your line.  Can you hear noise on the line if you listen to the dial tone or dial 17070 option 2?         
baileytech
Grafter

changed the router
changed the filter
connected router to bt test socket
connected via wireless and wired to pc, latop and iphone
same download speed
above stats are after done all the above
i have been with plusnet about 2 months and its never been right, was disconnecting all the time for the first month then second month got slower and slower
its driving me nuts
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi baileytech,
Thank you for completing the checks you've listed there and for providing your router stats. I'll get this issue picked up for you first thing in the morning and see what I can do to help. Smiley
baileytech
Grafter

great thanks
Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: baileytech
i have been with plusnet about 2 months and its never been right

The figures say differently.  You wouldn't have an MSR of  6240 kbps unless it was vastly better throughout your initial 10-day training period.  It must have gone wrong shortly after that.
Did you try another cable between the router and the socket?  Did you listen for audible noise on the line?   
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As ReedRichards has mentioned things must have been considerably better in the first 10 days and by your own comment the first few weeks. Just to pick up on a couple of other things you've mentioned
Quote from: baileytech
changed the router
changed the filter
connected router to bt test socket
connected via wireless and wired to pc, latop and iphone
same download speed

your download speed won't change immediately, it's the sync speed (connection speed, downstream rate) from your stats that you need to look at when making changes. When this improves, your BT IP profile will improve to match but the Plusnet Current Line speed (Login required) needs to catch up which can take several days as the BT Delta Report is not always sent out to Plusnet by the BT systems in a timely manner.
Judging by the stats you've posted, something has changed quite dramatically as you wouldn't get that MSR with the attenuation from the Plusnet tests or the attenuation reported by the current modem/router - so it looks as though you have some sort of external fault on the line or at the exchange provided those stats were taken whilst you were plugged into the test socket and whilst you are, you should check that any fixed extension sockets are all dead. As RR mentioned it's always worth checking the lead from modem/router to filter, I've seen similar problems to this caused by a faulty lead. Also any noise on the line (run the quiet line test if need be) will mess up the broadband and needs to be reported as a phone fault. If your Line Rental is with Plusnet, I'm sure Chris Pettitt will deal with that for you.
I assume that you didn't make any changes to your setup after the first few weeks, and that everything connected is plugged in via Microfilters that look like this that includes Sky boxes and the likes.
HTH.
baileytech
Grafter

thanks for the feedback
during the first 10 days or so i had a lot of lost connections i put this down to the service being a bit unpredictable in this period, this continued until i felt the need to call plusnet, they suggested that it was my router that was the problem, so i changed it. things werent too bad for a while, but since then then speeds have got less and less and last week i was getting good reliable speeds and then suddely one day it ground to a halt and now i even have trouble loading this site
i will replace the cable see if that helps
thanks
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I reckon that unless your phone line has been re-routed so it is now a few km further to the telephone exchange (which AFAIK never happens) then somewhere between your router and the equipment in the telephone exchange you have a very bad electrical contact.  You are using the Test Socket so the only part of that line that belongs to you is filter and the cable between the socket and the router.  So it is worth trying a different cable in conjunction with a different filter.  Then check your router stats and see if the reported attenuation has gone down. 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We'll be getting this picked up within the next half an hour or so. Sorry for the delay.