cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router info

PAPED
Dabbler

Router info

Hi, Wondering if anyone has a link to a full manual for the TG585 V8 router which details the CLI/telnet commands? Been Googling half the night all over the web but can't find much detail? Alternatively has anyone done the following configurations?
1) Configured OpenDNS DNS servers and their webfiltering - Have found how to change the DNS servers on the Plusnet site (in the library section if you are needing this info) but I need to configure 2 dynamic DNS entries one for OpenDNS the other for another provider?
2) Configure MX record details on a Dynamic DNS entry?
3) Configure a static route?
Just trying to replicate what I have on my current old Linksys router and modem as I would like to replace them with this gateway but cannot see a way to do the above points in the web GUI so I am assuming that I need to go in to the CLI/telnet connection to do it.....?
Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.....
6 REPLIES 6
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: Router info

Hi PAPED
Welcome to the forums. Smiley
You can download the full manual here;
http://www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/product-detail.php?id=214&se...
Under the heading Documentation > End-user Documentation
Why don't PN make the full manuals available on the hardware setup guides page?
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That doesn't include the CLI commands manual
Here is the one for the v7
CLI Commands
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Still the v7 but the CLI manual for a later software release is here CLI Reference Guide TG585 v7 R8.2.1. Don't know if this is different from the release 7.4 CLI manual.
That is the official Thomson support site - Technicolor own the Thomson brand. TG585v8 documentation here doesn't include a CLI manual.
David
PAPED
Dabbler

Thanks for all the help and advice all sorted (except the MX record which the router does not appear to support even in the CLI) the 7.x CLi commands appears to be generally the same for V8 routers....
For my and others reference heres what I did to get OpenDNS web filtering working with their DNS-O-Matic dyndns client updating my IP address from the router. This is made up from bits I have pulled together from various websites, forums and the CLI guide, some of the DNS stuff appears in the Plusnet library. But it worked for me so hopefully it will for others if needed.....
1) login to telnet on the router
2) Issue the following commands (this part sets up the OpenDNS DNS servers in the router instead of the Plusnet servers)
dns server route list  (make a note from the output of what your interface or "intf" is, mine was "Internet")
dns server route flush
dns server route add dns=208.67.222.222 metric=5 intf=Internet <or whatever you noted your intf as above>
dns server route add dns=208.67.220.220 metric=10 intf=Internet <or whatever you noted your intf as above>
The following 3 commands seem to be connected with removing and ensuring that the Plusnet servers are not re picked up on a reboot/reconnection and were shown on a website I was looking at but all 3 gave errors on my router so I assume that my router may have had them hard coded in some way I did them just in case though.
dhcp client ifdetach intf=Internet
dhcp client rqoptions delete intf=Internet option=domain-name-servers
dhcp client ifattach intf=Internet
To check your new servers are set up do this command next - the 208.... servers should be shown
dns server route list
To save the config you MUST do this command
saveall
To use the DNS-O-Matic client to update from the router the IP address the web filtering is expecting we need to change the config of the "custom" dyndns option in the web gui this command will set it up and give it a 3 hour update cycle.
dyndns service modify name=custom server=updates.dnsomatic.com updateinterval=10800
Now go to the web GUI and select the "custom" dyndns option, add you DNS-O-Matic  login details (you need to have a DNS-O-Matic login to do this and have it set-up to update OpenDNS) i.e. username/password and in the host name field use "all.dnsomatic.com". Enable this on the internet interface and apply the change. Router should show as update successful, DNS-O-Matic should show your current IP address and 3 or so minutes later your OpenDNS web filtering should be working again as per your preset preferences.

Re the static route addition this is done by....
In telnet again do the following commands:
ip rtlist (this shows your current routing table)
ip rtadd dst=n.n.n.n/mm gateway=g.g.g.g static=enabled status=up metric=0 (this adds the new "static" route - see notes below)
ip rtlist (this shows your current routing table - should now show you new route)
To save the config you MUST do this command
saveall
Notes - n.n.n.n is the host or network IP address followed by the subnet mask as a /mm [number of subnet bits] suffix i.e. a single host would be for example 192.168.0.230/32, a class C network (254 hosts/IP addresses to use) would be the network IP 192.168.1.0/24 etc.
g.g.g.g is the gateway IP address which the traffic for the network or hosts needs to be sent to.
Hope this helps others....
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

deleted
Martynormerod5
Dabbler

Good job PAPED!! I've been searching around for a way to change to Open DNS and finally came across your extremely helpful post. I just wanted to give my thanks, though it's unlikely you will check this page again any way.