Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run 2 routers at the same time?

hamilton36
Grafter

Can I run 2 routers at the same time?

Hi,
I have Humax PVR, which has a capability to connect direct to BBC iPlayer, provided it is connected to broadband.  At the moment my computer is connected via Belkin router, but I also have a Thomson provided by your goodselves, which I am keeping as a backup.  The plan is to use another telephone point downstairs to plug in the Thomson and connect the Humax PVR via an ethernet cable. 
Do you allow the use of 2 routers at the same time connected via different gateways?
Many thanks,
Alex
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I run 2 routers at the same time?

[quote=hamilton36]The plan is to use another telephone point downstairs
Do you mean connecting the second router on a telephone extension socket on the same single phone line,
or do you mean adding a completely separate second phone connection ? - i.e. two phone lines into your house.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can't have two router modems connected to the same telephone line. You'll either need to extend the ethernet to downstairs using a long cable, homeplugs or wireless accees point(s) or get a second telephone line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
...) or get a second telephone line.
and an additional broadband account which you will also need to pay on top of the cost of a 2nd phone line.
The best option here is either run a cable from your router to where its needed, or to use Homeplug my own personal experience of home plug has been mixed.  First off you almost certainly will have to plug it directly into a mains socket not an extension, secondly I have found one or two homes, even small ones where Homeplug just does not work, thirdly I would purchase the 85mbps solution since the none of the higher speed ones I have used have never out performed the 85mbps ones, fourthly I would purchase the Netgear XEB1004 Starter Kit as it provides for up to 4 connections per socket, whereas the vast majority of other solutions provide just one.  When first purchasing Homeplug make sure your purchase a STARTER KIT regardless of whether you take my recommendation or not, otherwise you will be going back to the shop to purchase the missing bit, to replicate the XEB1004 starter kit without purchasing a starter kit would mean purchase two XE104's which as you can see would be slightly more than £12 more expensive way of getting exactly the same solution.
Should you want to put an additional point somewhere else in your house either at the same time as the initial install or at a later date, all you would need to do is purchase another XE104 (or other manufacturers Homeplug) and plug it into a socket.
hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
[quote=hamilton36]The plan is to use another telephone point downstairs

Do you mean connecting the second router on a telephone extension socket on the same single phone line,
or do you mean adding a completely separate second phone connection ? - i.e. two phone lines into your house.

I mean connecting the second router to the same phone line.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the answers above - no
Steve
Seasoned Pro

hamilton36 see reply 2.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: fourfourdevon
...) or get a second telephone line.
and an additional broadband account which you will also need to pay on top of the cost of a 2nd phone line.

Whoops I should have said that as well!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Anticipating your next question:
You could make sure you only have one of them plugged in to the phone socket at a time (you'd have to unplug one before you plugged in the other). But then the BT would see the frequent off/on as you swapped and the different sync rate as an unstable line with all the dire consequences inflicted upon you by the DLM system that we see all to often in these forums. Not to be recommended!
hamilton36
Grafter

Anticipating your next question:
You could make sure you only have one of them plugged in to the phone socket at a time (you'd have to unplug one before you plugged in the other). But then the BT would see the frequent off/on as you swapped and the different sync rate as an unstable line with all the dire consequences inflicted upon you by the DLM system that we see all to often in these forums. Not to be recommended!

Thanks for that. As I can already record 2 programmes whilst watching the 3rd, I will need iPlayer very infrequently, so I'll take a chance and unplug the computer router before using the other one and always after midnight so as not to use up the bandwidth.
Thanks again,
Alex
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi hamilton36,
Just don't disconnect/reconnect too many times in short intervals or the DLM may lower your profile.
Jojo Smiley
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I would read this http://www.broadbandadvice.org.uk/Website/Special%20Articles/BT_DLM.htm before you do that.
*Jojo : what is a short interval?  1 Hour?  12 hours?  24 hours? 2 days?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's hard to pinpoint exactly the definition of what short intervals are when it comes to DLM. I have seen cases where a very intermittent line has had no effect and ones that have had one disconnect have been unlucky enough to have a change in profile. An explanation from kitz sums it up well, and I think it can sometimes be a lottery.
[quote= From kitz.co.uk]
Dynamic Line Management (DLM) - Ongoing Process
When the user logs on they send information (line data) to the DSLAM including details of any errors on the line.
The information is collated by the Data Collector which in turn sends it to the Dynamic Line Management system. Its the job of the DLM to analyse the data from the DSLAM and RAMBO to then decide if there is a stable line. If not if any changes to the SNR should be made and/or Interleaving should be used. The constant management ensures that the circuit remains within the set threshold.
If any changes need to be made the DLM sends the information via the flow stream to NCAS.
NCAS then reports to the DSLAM which then makes the relevant changes to the individual users line card. This process will be repeated to ensure the correct changes have been made.
If necessary this process will be continually repeated changing the SNR and/or interleaving until the line is deemed stable.
The DLM process is carried out every time you are connected and not just within the first 10 days.
Configurable attributes of the DLM are SNR and Interleaving.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You seem to have overlooked the last part of my post so I will repeat and emphasis it:
Not to be recommended!

As you will be switching between two different makes of router the DLM may see the different characteristics as being symptomatic of an unstable line and take action to try and stabilise it. It would probably raise your target noise margin which would would mean a reduction in your sync speed and IP Profile that would affect you when using either router. Sometimes the DLM throws hissy fits in such circumstances and it could give you a very drastic reduction which would take a few days to recover.
I would urge you to do the job properly and run a long ethernet ethernet cable, or purchase homeplugs or extend the network wirelessly using a wireless access point.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ hamilton36,
I would agree with jelv, you are definitely playing with fire on that one. I imagine you're just an urban renegade Wink