Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted posts

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Deleted posts

[Not sure if this goes here or in Community Site & Forums]
I'm aware that Moderators of forums such as this sometimes need to remove elements of posts and, very occasionally, complete posts.  In common with other forums, the moderators make a note in the offending post to indicate what they've changed and why which makes it clear that a thread has been edited.  Today however, two posts were removed from a thread completely leaving with no comment left at all.
Can I request that offending posts worthy of removal are instead edited along the lines of:
Mod edit - The contents of this post have been removed as it <insert explanation>

4 REPLIES 4
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Deleted posts

I assume they were moved into a more "private" part of the forum where only Staff and Mods can read them.
Often this is done so they can be referred back to - especially for abusive posts.
*Edit - also stops the slanging matches from starting. I assume you're talking about the new member who told the other member to FU ?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That was the exchange, yes...
It just seems a bit like Big Brother to remove all traces at all rather than being open about the process?  Perhaps, as you say, it has lead to problems in the past though.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is a problem with that suggestion
Once a post has been edited as you suggest it has gone for ever and all the evidence is lost and it can't be reinstated
Also the poster can put the offending text back and we probably wouldn't spot it. Whereas if he puts it back as a new post that will be picked up
With the present system the posts are moved to the hidden boards where staff and mods can see them and they can be used as evidence or reinstated if the removal was thought to be a mistake
picbits
Rising Star

Pretty much how we (are meant) moderate on another forums I use a lot. Unfortunately some moderators find it easier to delete the posts/threads rather than move them out of sight which often causes some confusion.