cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion 7800N settings

chris330d

Billion 7800N settings

Just had FTTC installed today, Smiley  I have got the supplied Netgear router to work but can't get my Billion BiPac 7800N to work.  If someone has done this and could post up the settings that would really help.  I have plugged in the BT modem into the EWAN connection and changed the port setting from ADSL to EWAN but can't seem to find a screen to fill in the login details as is on the Netgear?
15 REPLIES 15
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: Billion 7800N settings

Have a look at page 35-37 of the user manual here - BiPAC7800N_UMEN
Seems to say select EWAN port then select protocol as PPPoE
chris330d

Thanks for the reply.  I should have said that I have got this far and set the Billion to use EWAn as the main port and use PPPoE.  Have put in user name and password the same as the Netgear unit but it will not connect.  The Billion has a setting below the login details which the Netgear does not, VLan Mux enabled?  if this is ticked it then asks for a number between 2 and 4095.  Has anyone got a Billion BiPac 7800N to work?  It is the Gigabit ports and the wireless coverage that I am missing on the supplied router.  Called Plusnet technical support and was told that they would not help if it was not the supplied router  Sad
knowdice
Rising Star

Pretty sure that you don't want VLAN MUX enabled as you are not using VLANs on the WAN.
I'm sure that I have read somewhere about not entering a service name (this was not related to Billion) but maybe worth try...
tomm
Grafter

I don't know if that's the router being referred to here because they don't mention the 'N' : http://wiki.aaisp.org.uk/index.php/FTTC_Modem but the note there says you must keep rebooting when configuring. Might be a similar issue anyway.
chris330d

Thanks for the link but the later firmware units reboot automatically when you change the settings.  There must be something wrong here as the LAN light on the BT box does not light up with the billion connected but does when direct to my PC or through the Netgear.  Any more ideas or does someone want to buy a router  Angry
knowdice
Rising Star

If the LAN light does not come on then have you tried a cross-over Ethernet cable?
Does the LAN light for that port on the Billion come on when connected to a PC?
chris330d

Thanks for your help, got it working now Smiley  Not sure exactly what I did but I did change the ethernet cable at one point so maybe that was the problem.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Glad to hear you got this sorted out. It's up to you but can you let us know how you got this sorted in any more detail as it should help out anyone else embarking on using our service with the same router. Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chris330d

I originally tried setting the router up exactly the same as the supplied Netgear one.  The problem was that the Billion did not connect.  The settings that seemed to work was to turn on the 'port' to Dual Wan and then select 'enable back up interface'.  This seemed to make the Billion connect and once it did this I switched it back to 'EWAN' only.  It is running the latest 1.06c firmware.  I started with 1.06b.  I don't think this made a difference though.  Apart from this all the other settings are the same as the netgear e.g. PPPoE, usrname, password etc.  HTH
AxeMurderer
Grafter

In case this helps, here is what I did to switch my Billion 7800N from ADSL+ to using the FTTC modem:
Advanced -> Configuration -> WAN Interface.  Set Main Post to EWAN. Then restart the router.
Advanced -> Configuration -> WAN Profile. This needs to be set so that you have one protocol only, PPPoE. In the details for this you need to enter your broadband user name (this will be username@plusdsl.net for plusnet customers) into the Username box, and your broadband password into the password box. Leave all the other boxes and options as they are. Then restart the router. Afterwards, check that you really did end up with what you asked for (as the Billion's user interface is a bit quirky and required non-intuitive use of the Add and Edit/Delete buttons).
That is all there is to it! I didn't even take the shrinkwrap off the supplied Netgear.
Now if that sounds a bit smug (which it does) I'll confess my counterbalancing stupid error...
In preparation for the FTTC install, the night before I thought 'why not bring the router firmware up to the latest version'. So I updated to firmware 1.06d. This means a router restart. Which, as (I assume) plusnet have already prepared the profile for FTTC the next day, meant that the router could not restart ADSL, so meant I lost my internet connection until FTTC was installed. Doh!
Rhauri

I spent a while trying to set up my PlustNet supplied (but it's a BT Openreach "modem" box) fibre connection to my Billion 7800N router.
- which gives a stronger WiFi single around my house than the PlusNet router, that works great, but not as good a range.
For me the key was to not only follow all the steps by AxeMurderer above, but, to fully, power off and re-power up the Billion 7800N router.
- as soon as I did that it worked.
I'd multiple times done the flash reboot of the router.
I had at one stage put in my username as just the name and not the email address username (eg username@plusdsl.net).

highfield5
Grafter

Quote from: chris330d
It is running the latest 1.06c firmware.  I started with 1.06b. 

The latest firmware for the 7800N is 1.06g.  You can get it from the Billion website
http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/
You might also find the Billion UK forum helpful
http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/
FWIW, I'm using a 7800N on PlusNet extra fibre (using 1.06g) .
Ian
johnoconnell

I had FTTC installed a few days ago and couldn't get my 7800N working so ended up using the supplied Technicolor router to get online and verify everything worked okay, which it did.
The EWAN/EWAN profile setup on the 7800N was very confusing and after grappling with it and not being able to connect to the WAN using the information provided in this thread, I decided to install to latest firmware - 1.06g - and rebooted the router and hey presto, the EWAN profile page had changed to something far more sensible. I entered the necessary connection settings, rebooted the router and was up and running in no time.
One thing I did find was that the yellow LAN cable used to connect a PC to the router/network worked okay with the Technicolor router, but not with the 7800N, so I swapped it for another cable which worked fine.  I guess maybe the 7800N is fussier.  The red cable used to connect the VDSL modem to the router is quite thick whereas the yellow cable is quite thin so I'd presume it's not a quality cable and best not used.
jan
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have been using the 7800n since being connected to plusnet fibre unlimited last week.
Even after my incorrect profile was corrected to 80 / 20  I was unhappy with my speeds.  After a suggestion from plusnet to connect directly to the modem over PPPoE  it seems the issue is with the 7800n
When using the 7800n my speeds are 33mbps / 15mbps
But when connecting directly through the modem I get approx 60-70mbps / 4mbps - 12mbps
I really love this router as it allows loopback connections so I can test sites served locally (on my network) using dyndns from other machines within my network. I found many routers do not do this (netgear used to & then stopped - without mentioning it either) which is why I ended up with this router in the first place.  It also has 1gbit ethernet allowing me to stream from PC to PS3 in 1080p
My settings for the 7800n WAN profile
The 7800n WAN profile is basically on the default settings for PPPoE - except for DNS servers with my uname & pwd for the PPPoE connection.
Auth protocol is set to Auto
What should the MTU be set at ? (it has defaulted to 1492)
Should VLAN Mux be enabled?  (I have no idea what this is BTW)
I don't understand what is going on here. Has anyone else with a 7800n tried directly connecting to the modem & compared their speeds?