cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP Closed: Remote Terminating (PPPoE) - Draytek Router

dollygray

PPP Closed: Remote Terminating (PPPoE) - Draytek Router

I've been using PN Fibre Broadband for well over a year now with no problems at all . Recently I've started seeing multiple disconnects and reconnects on my Draytek Router (2860) which is connected directly to the VDSL line and is not going through the BTOR modem.
The router reports PPP Closed: Remote Terminating (PPPoE) and then connects again within 30 seconds but these drop outs are causing issues with hosted websites etc. and the dropout happens around 5 times in a 24 hour period and does not seem to be related to the amount of traffic etc.
Physical connection up and down speeds remain stable with an SNR margin of around 13dB and Loop attenuation of 9dB and have been like this since before the problem started.
I have tried going back to older versions of firmware in the router (i.e from when things were really stable, but the problem is still there with the older versions. Current version is 3.8.2 with VDSL Firmware 574307_A/B/C running)
Any thoughts on where to look to get this connection more stable would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
JasonMassey
Grafter

Re: PPP Closed: Remote Terminating (PPPoE) - Draytek Router

Hi, if it's any help.
I'm using a 2860n with firmware version 3.7.8.3,  for DSL Modem Code i'm using AnnexA_573807_571701.
This has been the most stable the router has been in maybe 2 years, current up time over 800 hours.  Also AnnexA_573807_571701 increased my upload sync by about 1.5Mbps.
mbanqua
Hooked

Hi Jason.  Thanks for the sharing the information.  I have been pulling my hair out for months with these constant disconnects so had no choice but to revert to using the BT modem and ethernet port. Since doing so almost 2 weeks ago, I haven't had a single disconnect (but am no longer able to see what the BT modem is synching at -- which really annoys me)

Your post, however, has given me new hope and so I've just upgraded to the 573807_571701 modem code version (rather than the Draytek "recommended" version - doh!) and reverted back to using the built-in modem in the hope that it stabilises the connection.  Unfortunately, DSLAM has kicked in so it's probably going to be a while before my line goes back to normal speeds but at this stage, I'm just happy at the prospect of a stable connection.

Thanks again for the tip -- keeping my fingers crossed it works.  Smiley

slime-uk
Dabbler

Hi - with the release of 3.8.4.3 firmware I thought I'd see if I can get more stable connection.  I had been using "vector 3" firmware but decided to go with the Draytek UK recommended one (BT).  Awful - 4 disconnects a day.

So, I found somewhere where people said for plus.net, Vector 2 was better.  Now running that.

Now I see this thread (I know it's a tad old).  I'm running default modem code on the vector 2 firmware which seems different to what you guys are running?

Please can you confirm if what you say above still holds true?

So - firmware 3.8.4.3 modem code 574307 / vector 2 but what modem code do you run on the WAN page?

Thanks,

Si.

mbanqua
Hooked

Hi there.  I too tried the vector 2 version (although I think it was an earlier version of the firmware) and while it seemed to improve the connectivity for a bit, it was still horrribly unreliable.

In the end, what fixed the connectivity issue for me was rebuilding my entire configuration from scratch (i.e. installing the firmware version which resets it back to factory settings and then manually re-setting all my config settings one by one).   Some config changes required a reboot so I was sure to always reboot as directed (I disconnected the modem cable while I did all this to prevent the DLAM from penalising me) rather than just ignore the message and click on another menu option.

With this approach, I was able to get the standard "BT recommended" version of the firmware working and quite stable.  I was even able to do an upgrade later on to the newest version (3.8.4.3) without any subsequent issues.  But to answer your question, the current modem code is 576d17_572801

I know it's a complete PIA but it might be worth trying.  I was *this close* to chucking the bloody thing in the bin I was so frustrated with all the disconnects... but all the effort involved in manually re-entering my entire config (I took 50 or so screenshots before I wiped the firmware) paid off in the end and my £250 Draytek router is back to it's usual reliable and somewhat overpriced self...

Hope this helps.

slime-uk
Dabbler

I've tried all this, multiple firmwares with Draytek UK helping and I still get sometimes 3 disconnects a day.  Just had another now:

DrayTek: PPP Closed : Remote Terminating (PPPoA)
<166>Jun 20 11:15:20 DrayTek: WAN1 PPPoE ==> Protocol:LCP(c021) TermReq Identifier:0x02 ##
<166>Jun 20 11:15:20 DrayTek: WAN 1 is down.

Driving me crazy.  Currently running the BT (recommended) latest release.

Tried wiping and re-=entering a basic configuration, with no VOIP, no 4g backup etc.  Static IP LAN bind addresses and some NAT rules but that's about it.

happybunny
Grafter

the only way I have managed to get a reliable connection on my 2860 is using the non-vector version. 

slime-uk
Dabbler

Interesting - thanks.  BT came out again and have pretty much washed their hands of my issue.  Now suggest it's SHINE interferance which they state is almost impossible to find.  I was watching my SNR go from 6 to 5, 4, 3 and eventually to 0db on the downstream so I grabbed an old Sony walkman and tuned to 612KHz and walked around looking for noise.  I have no idea where it's coming from but something is causing my Draytek to drop.  Yes - it then dropped and came back at 20Mbps.

The only other thing the chap from OR suggested was to turn vectoring off which OR ops would not do.  I said Draytek do offer a non vector version - so he suggested I try it.  So, please - what EXACT version are you running?  v number and download link would be spot on if you would be so kind.  I'll give it a go.

Do you live in an old (or fairly old) house with ancient telephone line installation?  I think my line is pretty rubbish as I've always had issues with FTTC - it was OK with ADSL.  The odd drop but no way near this bad.

Thanks!

happybunny
Grafter

Right now I am using:

Model Name Vigor2860Vn+
Firmware Version  3.8.4.3_STD
DSL Version 548006_A/B/C HW: A 

and I have maintained a vDSL connection for 549 hours.

Link to download is here:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2860/older-firmware/firmware-3843/send/427-3843/710...

Latest version is 3.8.4.5, but the modem firmware appears to be the same.  I'm not holding back upgrading to the latest, just not found the time to do it!

When I tried the BT recommended firmware and any of the Vector versions I managed to establish a connection initially for a couple of hours, then dropped and reconnected for no obvious reason. 

I have my router connected directly to a MK3 faceplate with no internal wiring connected.  The drop wire is only a few years old now but had to be replaced as someone knocked the pole down.

Line stats below look good to me!

Downstream             Upstream                
Actual Rate 80000 Kbps 20000 Kbps
Attainable Rate 86744 Kbps 23172 Kbps
Path Mode Fast Fast
Interleave Depth 0 0
Actual PSD -2.-6 dB -2.-6 dB

Near End                  Far End                   
Trellis ON ON
Bitswap OFF OFF
ReTx 0   0  
SNR Margin 5 dB 6 dB
Attenuation 11 dB 0 dB
CRC 0 0
FECS 0 s 0 s
ES 0 s 0 s
SES 0 s 0 s
LOSS 0 s 0 s
UAS 0 s 0 s
HEC Errors 0 0
RS Corrections 0 0
LOS Failure 0 0
LOF Failure 0 0
LPR Failure 0 0
NCD Failure 0 0
LCD Failure 0 0
NFEC 0 0
RFEC 0 0
LYSMB 0 0
slime-uk
Dabbler

Thanks - looks good to me.  If this continues to drop as I expect, this is my next course of action.  Will report back.

Cheers for the info.