cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC DLM Profile

mikehiow
Grafter

FTTC DLM Profile

What is the default for a Plusnet Unlimited customer (ie. the Stable, Standard, Speed profiles)?
Has there been any recent change in the default profile?
Is there any way for a customer to request a specific profile?
15 REPLIES 15
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: FTTC DLM Profile

Hi mikehiow,
The default for all our connections is standard stability, it's never been changed as far as I'm aware, and yes - either by ticket or posting here Smiley
Hope that helps.
mikehiow
Grafter

Thanks Matt,
I'd like mine changed to Speed. I have submitted a support ticket.
Steek
Grafter

Could I also have mine changed to speed? Thanks.
mikehiow
Grafter

My support ticket was just responded to stating there is no 'Speed' profile, only Standard, stable or super-stable.
What gives? I'm fairly certain BTW options include a 'Speed' profile.
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

There should be a speed profile. Assuming everyone's getting their information on FTTC DLM profiles from this news articles on TBB: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5929-reminder-about-the-reality-of-dlm-on-openreach-fttc.html
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry should have clarified. "Standard" *is* the "Speed" profile, the only other two options we have are "Stable" or "Super Stable".
So, by default we do supply customers on the fastest profile available.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Have Plusnet ever tried either of the other options?
I don't recall anything from the FTTC trials (certainly not the 80/20 trials).
Any info on the (speed) impact from the increased stability options?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi w23,
Basically the more stable options tighten up the error and reset margins, so where say 10 resyncs a day would cause the SNR to be raised on a standard connection, maybe 2 would cause the same on a line set to super stable. The speed changes seen would be the same as on the other options (so around 800kb/s for a 3dB rise in the SNR target) but would be more likely to happen.
Again, not totally sure of the margins even for ADSL let alone Fibre, but that's how it works. Several of our business customers have opted for Stable or Super Stable lines as that's more important to them than getting the fastest connection possible.
zackarydoo
Grafter

A helpful thread! Helps answer some of my own questions. So much for hoping to get a faster connection by changing to a faster profile then.  Cry
Steek
Grafter

Recently raised a ticket and found out I am not actually being profiled and I am running at line speed. Does this mean I can't go on one of the three options?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you are on Unlimited Fibre then your total traffic will transfer at line speed, but traffic management is applied on non-interactive traffic to ensure any time-critical traffic included in that total is given priority. Some might say that is "profiling" but others interpret "profiling" to mean "slowed down" - and on unlimited no traffic types are slowed down.
The standard, stable and super-stable service options are nothing to do with that. You should be on the standard (speed) option, but should be able to choose stable or super-stable if you wish. Either of the latter is likely to reduce sync/line speed (unless you are very close to the cabinet), but your traffic will still transfer at the resulting line speed.
David
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Matt
Sorry should have clarified. "Standard" *is* the "Speed" profile, the only other two options we have are "Stable" or "Super Stable".
So, by default we do supply customers on the fastest profile available.

This thread has been brought to my attention tonight.  Can I just ask if someone from Plusnet can clarify something for me and double check what profile Plusnet are placing their FTTC customers on.
The options mentioned above ie Standard, Stable and Super Stable relate to BT wholesale ADSL provisioning.  GEA FTTC does NOT have a super stable profile
Confusing I know.. but to recap
BTw ADSL profiles =
Standard, Stable, Superstable
BTor FTTC profiles =
Speed, Standard, Stable.

If you are provisioning GEA (FTTC) as standard, you are selecting the middle profile & not speed.   You wont be the first ISP who has been caught out by this.
I could name another respected UK ISP who for the past year or so thought by using 'standard' their customers were on the fastest profile and its only recently come to light that they werent.  Its a perfect example of how confusing the profile naming between the 2 products are when it comes to the ISPs ordering from Openreach.  
You can see here the 3 FTTC profiles..  and that a customer provisioned as standard, will in fact be on the middle profile.
TIA
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I would also like to know what profile they have me on if it's standard then i'd like to have it set for speed .
plexy
Grafter

I too am interested in the answer to this, as posed in my other thread on this forum.
So... Bump Cheesy