Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband only price changes - June 2013

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Broadband only price changes - June 2013

Hi all,
As some of you have noticed we've made changes to the pricing of our broadband only products. Even though nine in ten customers take both broadband and phone, we still feel it is important to offer customers both choice and flexibility. We're one of the few ISPs who still offer broadband only and the changes we've made mean we stay very competitively priced whilst continuing to maintain high levels of service and product quality.
The main change is that any new customer signing up for broadband only will have an additional £2.50/month compared to those who take both broadband and phone from us.  This does not affect existing customers unless they wish to switch onto a newer product.
Thanks
Chris Parr
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
58 REPLIES 58
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Broadband only price changes - June 2013

Second post I've spotted today that's said that, but the information for existing customers is hardly clear on the main pages  Roll_eyes
gswindale
Grafter

Hmm,
Not sure I fully agree with this option.
Part of the reason I've stayed with PN over the years is the fact that they've never "suggested" I should take the phone line to them.
Currently BT line rental is cheaper than PN.  If I changed package now; I'd certainly be paying more either by keeping my line rental with BT (pay PN an extra £2.50) or switch my phone line to PN and pay an extra £1.50/month in line rental.  Would be a small saving each month I guess to switch; however I believe that Broadband products should cost the same regardless of who your phone line rental is being paid to.
Maybe it is time to look for a honest ISP when my 12 months is up who provides Broadband at the same cost wherever you are and whoever you have your phone line with...
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

So,please clarify what will happen when my 12 months unlimited ADSL BB contract is up? It could be a bigger problem for those like me, who have BT's line rental saver whose expiry date does not match the PN BB contract.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

As long as you don't move package nothing will happen
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Surely it would make far more sense to stop this non stop price cutting for six month war and offer cheaper all round charges. Increasing charges when everybody else is cutting there's does not make sense. The broadband + phone market is now getting as bad as the mobile phone market --- Confusing!!!
Scribe
Grafter

It's commendable not to increase the price for existing customers, but for how long, one wonders. I just hope there won't be a 'stealth' increase later.
x47c
Grafter

Seems all pretty normal to me. ( I have my phone with BT)
You take two products from the same company you get a cheaper price than if you ordered only one.
Gas/Electric companies do the same - you get a dual fuel discount if you take both Gas & Electric from one supplier.
Have two cars with the same insurance company and you'll get a discounted price from the normal quote on the second one
So the company has one admin charge for two products sold rather than one admin charge for one product sold.
Exactly the same in practice as a quantity discount - the more you buy the cheaper it gets per unit.
Try going on a skiiing holiday as a single person and see how much more you are paying/person than the couple next to you.  Go as a group of 5 or more and you can really get some serious level of discount on the price/person.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: Scribe
It's commendable not to increase the price for existing customers, but for how long, one wonders.

At the next product refresh maybe :-\......cynical that I am.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: glloyd
Surely it would make far more sense to stop this non stop price cutting for six month war and offer cheaper all round charges. Increasing charges when everybody else is cutting there's does not make sense. The broadband + phone market is now getting as bad as the mobile phone market --- Confusing!!!

I can understand this kind of marketing practise being perceived as the only way to keep attracting new customers but I generally agree that constant discounting (for new customers), cashback deals etc. largely serves to increase churn and often leaves long-term customers feeling unvalued.  Somebody is subsidising the 6 or 12 months half price and various cashback deals and it's not the customers who will move again as soon as their contract is up and someone else offers a similar deal.
Inceasing prices for new customers only combined with short term discounts surely serves to increase customer turn-over.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

So, as things stand an existing customer won't see their monthly payments go up as long as they don't change the product they're subscribed to - fair enough.
But what about the position of long-standing loyal customers (such as myself) when the time comes to make the natural progression from ADSL to Fibre (either flavour)?  Is changing from, say ADSL 'Unlimited' to FTTC/FTTP 'Unlimited', changing your package?  It certainly seems that way to me, and in my view is grossly unfair - what are people supposed to do, stay on ADSL for the rest of their life?

Edit: Typo
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It seems to me that the way to keep down cost is to keep your loyal customers. All this churn from one company to another must be damn expensive in terms of all these promotions. And who pays for these promotions? The loyal customers who are not as well looked after as new customers. Would it not be nice if an ISP would to say thank you for being a loyal customer we will drop your payments by x amount as a thank you. Instead they would prefer to pay millions on advertising and promotions to entice new customers to replace those they have lost.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Further, in introducing this increase I don't think PlusNet have properly considered how it looks as a percentage of what the Broadband-only deals may have previously cost.  I'm not sure what the cheapest 'Essentials' package was launched at but I think it was around £5.99 (Market 2-3), so;
On a £19.99 account it is a 12.5% increase;
On a £9.99 account it is a 25% increase;
On a £5.99 account it is a 41.7% increase!
I don't think it looks good presented that way - food for thought PlusNet!

Why should we be penalised for choosing to not take PlusNets phone service / line rental, which in my opinion (from what I have read about the PlusNet phone service here and elsewhere) is a combination of more expensive and inferior when compared to BT?  Just a couple of examples are the frequent billing problems, and being charged for Caller Display (which can be obtained from BT for no charge).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: RobPN
what about the position of long-standing loyal customers (such as myself) when the time comes to make the natural progression from ADSL to Fibre (either flavour)?  Is changing from, say ADSL 'Unlimited' to FTTC/FTTP 'Unlimited', changing your package?  It certainly seems that way to me, and in my view is grossly unfair - what are people supposed to do, stay on ADSL for the rest of their life?

That is EXACTLY my reaction !  Angry
I had been looking forward to the possibility of FTTC if the BDUK funding gets approved for my exchange.
Being on a Market-1 exchange I could barely justify the pre-price rise cost for unlimited fibre,
but NOW I really can't afford to upgrade to fibre - the best I can hope for is upgrading from 20CN to ADSL2.
The only good thing for me was that I managed to upgrade to 'Unlimited' ADSL just a couple of weeks ago and avoided the price hike.
It is one thing to inflict these prices on new customers, who are in a position of choosing their ISP based on the packages presented.
For existing customers, who are with Plusnet but want to keep our phone with BT, it seems very unfair to now restrict our future upgrade path by imposing a new £30 annual surcharge for us not taking the Plusnet phone package THAT WE DON'T WANT !
I am bitterly disappointed that 'Unlimited' fibre is no longer a possibility  Cry
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To be brutally honest - if I was on a Market 1 exchange  I would seriously consider switching to BT