Thursday 17th April 2014Login | Register
Pages: [1]

AMMYY Admin Scam be aware!!!!!!!

« on 31/01/2012, 14:48 »
Had a phone call today from an Asian lady claiming to be from BT, says there are problems at the exchange and that my line is showing lots of errors. She then tried to talk me through downloading and installing AMMYY which is a perfectly legit remote desktop software. This of course will give them access to your pc  :jawdrop

Bt will never ring you with issues like this, and any problems with your line will need checked by your internet service provider. *DO NOT INSTALL*  The remote desktop software, just waste their time for as long as possible and see who gets the record for keeping them on the phone the longest.  Cheesy

http://youtu.be/1hsEHRIMeZo
I run the I.T policy in my house! (Badly)
« Reply #1 on 31/01/2012, 16:18 »
where have you been the last year, even the Police have posted warnings about this
Free-online member since 15 Dec 1998
You dont have to be mad to understand what PN are up to, but it helps
Customer Options Team (Cancellations and MAC) 0800 4320200 (option 7) not free onmobile but 0345 4320200 is cheaper (or 0114 296 5098)
« Reply #2 on 31/01/2012, 16:41 »
 Grin I have never heard of it before, various other scams pop up which are really obvious but this was quite convincing or was to me at the time. My internet was running iffy and the next thing I get is a phone call claiming to be from BT saying there was a problem at my exchange. Worth mentioning I thought so that other people who don't live on the internet like myself maybe just save them. If this has been going on for years worth reminding people its still about. Never heard of Police ever warning about anything ever TBH.
« Reply #3 on 31/01/2012, 17:02 »
Yeah next they will be telling us that our broadband Is poor because copper is being stolen and eventually it will be stolen completely and there will be no copper left., Pay the price to get the copper replaced, PITA for the local copper.

« Last Edit: 31/01/2012, 17:05 by Steve M »

• CX
  • View Profile
« Reply #4 on 31/01/2012, 17:05 »
I've heard the "Microsoft" one, in fact they rang me once but I was too busy with work to think about wasting their time for a few minutes. This is the first I knew about them claiming to be from BT.
« Reply #5 on 31/01/2012, 17:17 »
Their approach was that they work for BT and they have had reports from the exchange that my line was causing faults probably from virus like activity from a pc on my line. If I had granted them access to the pc they could have removed whatever was causing the problems. Cunning [Censored], mine is a work pc with another on the network and noticed recently my internet was a bit iffy only on certain sites and wondered if adding the other pc had caused the problem. Plus taking into account I don't know what they are browsing while I'm not here and recently some email attachments have not been getting through to people but instead win dat files. This problem I have only experienced while using the laptop while on the road so for a minute there they had me interested and I class myself as being fairly internet savvy so people can still get took in.
« Reply #6 on 31/01/2012, 17:19 »
New con to me too.  Thanks for posting AWB.
Wake Up and Smell the Coffee!
  • 7up
  • The UK needs more science, engineering, tech & R&D
  • View Profile
« Reply #7 on 31/01/2012, 17:20 »
Grin I have never heard of it before, various other scams pop up which are really obvious but this was quite convincing or was to me at the time. My internet was running iffy and the next thing I get is a phone call claiming to be from BT saying there was a problem at my exchange

BT don't like contacting customers unless its for paymet. Anything else and they try very hard to give you the silent treatment. Why would they suddenly break that golden rule? - They wouldn't. Anyone claiming to be from BT is a fraud (unless you've been having ongoing issues and are genuinely expecting them to call). Even then BT don't like dealing with the internet much and as for tinkering with your PC directly, they'd never want to get involved in that. They struggle to do basic things like stopping nuisance calls or blank texts etc so anything above and beyond that level of service is definitely suspicious.

« Last Edit: 31/01/2012, 17:21 by Sprite »

Those with the least are expected to contribute the most.
« Reply #8 on 31/01/2012, 20:50 »
I thought I would check the AMMYY site again wondering why, if their software was constantly being targeted with these scams they are not warning people about it on their download page and found they did have something on the right hand side of the home page which opened this link http://www.ammyy.com/en/admin_mu.html
 Embarrassed So I guess I'm even dumber than I look for even letting them get me this far. When I think back though they did try and draw my attention to the left side of the page by saying can you see this and can you see that then getting me to the download page where there is no warnings.

The people at AMMYY would do themselves a big favour by making this bigger and bolder and on their download page. AMMYY is now etched in my brain as part of a scam as innocent as they are. Some people may ask why you would allow anyone remote access to your pc anyway but  on occasion I have emailed sage with an issue and some one has rang back and I have allowed remote access to solve problems, only takes someone to intercept the mail or catch someone in your house who's not as pc literate and you have problems.

@artmo no problem your welcome
Pages: [1]
Jump to:  

Related Sites

Community Apps

Here at Plusnet we're always trying to use clever open source things to make our lives easier. Sometimes we write our own and make other people's lives easier too!

View the Plusnet Open Source applications page

About Plusnet

We're a Yorkshire-based provider selling broadband and phone services to homes and businesses throughout the UK. Winner of the ISPA 2010 'Best Consumer Customer Service ISP' Award, we're proud to offer the UK's best value standalone broadband.

© Plusnet plc All Rights Reserved. E&OE