cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will discontinuing BT landline affect PlusNet broadband?

FIXED
neil9327

Will discontinuing BT landline affect PlusNet broadband?

I currently have a BT landline, with a landline number. Through that physical landline wire I get fibre-to-cabinet broadband through Plus Net.

I have decided that I no longer need the BT landline number or landline telephone service, so want to discontinue that contract with BT.

But will this affect my Plus Net broadband?

I.e. do I need to keep the BT landline service running in order to continue having internet through Plus Net?

And if not, then do I need to inform BT that, while I don't wish to continue having their service, I nevertheless want the Plus Net to continue to operate - are BT capable of ensuring this is the case?

Thanks

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Will discontinuing BT landline affect PlusNet broadband?

Fix

The is more than a fair possibility that CANCELLING the phone service with BT WILL kill off your Plusnet broadband service.

I would recommend that you give Plusnet COTS a call and ask them about switching your service to SOGEA (FTTC without voice) - that will automatically terminate your voice service whilst protecting the broadband service.

NOTE: The above presumes that you are on FTTC - ADSL MUST have a phone line service.

Contact Customer Options Team (aka COTS)

COTs is the place to go to if you want to find out anything to do with your contract in respect of leaving, renewing or simply enquiring about early termination charges (ETCs). They have their own number and tend to answer quicker than the general customer service number.

Direct dial numbers

• 0800 013 2632 or 0800 079 1133(from within the UK)
  • +44 330 123 9197 (from abroad)
  • Available...
    • 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
    • 9am - 7pm Saturday
    • 9am - 6pm Sunday

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Account / Billing

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
neil9327

Many thanks Townman. I have called PlusNet, and they have done what you suggest and put me on a new broadband-only contract, which they say will cancel the BT contract too.. But I'll call BT in a month or so once I'm transferred, to ensure the cancellation has taken effect and they aren't still billing me monthly.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

@neil9327 you should get a 'we're sorry you're leaving' nofification from BT

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

I would just let the process run through and DON'T cancel your direct debit with BT!

BT will/should eventually cancel your phone contract, eventually work out a final bill and (*if appropriate) refund any overpayment via the DD. This can take a while as their billing is usually in advance (not arrears) so depending on what your contract states  and how often you pay you may owe them or vice-versa once it's all "come out in the wash".

I terminated a BT phone contract indirectly (and deliberately) via changing PlusNet broadband on the same line and it did take a while to work through the various accounting systems. The actual BT termination was pretty quick and I did get notice as mentioned above. My BT account still exists (I can log in) but has no products on it now.

neil9327

Thanks HPSauce, I'll keep the direct debit in operation until the service is confirmed as ended.