Did you mean: 

Idiot's guide to bridge mode

FIXED
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 409

Re: Idiot's guide to bridge mode

not put a device in the DMZ for a while, but I thinking you still need to port forward rules, I might be wrong though.

@Dan_the_Van TBH neither have I, its normally not a good idea. AIUI setting a device as the DMZ means that any 'unsolicited' input traffic will be directed at the device set as DMZ. So effectively it port forwards everything thats not part of an 'established' NAT connection. 

Normally DMZ is not a good idea since you are opening up a device to everything with no firewall. In this case the 8800 will still be providing a firewall so its still safe.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Junkman
Rising Star

Gents I think perhaps I should point out that I don't think I do too badly with IT considering I'm 70 next month, but you're losing me just a bit here!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Doesn't seem to give me anything about DHCP or DMZ on this page or the next one.........

@Junkman doesnt the 'Type' dropdown box have a DHCP (or Dynamic IP ) option ?

The DMZ is nothing to do with the 8800 its set on the Hub 2.

Gents I think perhaps I should point out that I don't think I do too badly with IT considering I'm 70 next month, but you're losing me just a bit here

I can raise you a year on that😁 but then again I've got the advantage that I spent most of my working life in Automation systems and Networking...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Junkman
Rising Star

@MisterW I was an engineer.  I could build you a car but I'm out of my depth here 😁

Only other options in 'Type' are IP over Ethernet and Bridging.

Do I need to change anything in the Hub 2?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 79

It is the billion device which goes in the Hub Two DMZ, if your billion is not using 192.168.1.0/24 network then nothing needs changing.

For the Billion router the device needs adding to the Hub Two DMZ; the setting is found in the Firewall. It looks like Screenshot 2024-05-13 171036.png

The device must be allocated an IP Address by the Hub Two, you can use the IP Address or the device name. I would recommend device name, as IP Addresses can change if not fixed.

Are you still wanting to try Bridging Mode rather than putting the Billion in the DMZ?

You appear to be the youngest one here 😬 😂

Junkman
Rising Star

@Dan_the_Van and there was me stereotyping that you experts must be much younger.  You live and learn.  Still not quite getting the DMZ bit or what setting to use in the 'Type' box.  8800 is now backed up though

Edited to add that p170 in the Billion manual refers to it, but I don't seem to be able to get to that page on my router.  Also that if double NAT isn't gonna cause an issue then I could go for this option.  Honestly not sure what to try first....

Junkman
Rising Star

Found it now

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Only other options in 'Type' are IP over Ethernet and Bridging

@Junkman in that case  I'm afraid my idea is a non-starter!

I was an engineer.  I could build you a car

Not sure I could build one, but I could certainly test one for you as it comes off the end of the production line.

One of our systems was one of the EOL rolling road test rigs at Bentley in Crewe.

Junkman
Rising Star

@MisterW thanks - so my only options are use the Hub 2 in place of my Billion or use it in bridging mode then.

I was actually technical director for a multi-national recycling company and we sometimes provided safe and secure destruction of Bentley prototypes and test vehicles......

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Junkman o my only options are use the Hub 2 in place of my Billion or use it in bridging mode then.

It would seem so I'm afraid.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Junkman 

Hopefully this is the correct router version! a quick search revealed this https://www.forum.billion.uk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21627 this details how to configure for an Openreach modem, you can replace any reference for the Openreach modem with Hub Two in bridge mode.

There was an expectation the device could be configured as a router which would allow for the WAN port being configured to 'Dynamic or Static IP Address as well as PPPoE; sadly this does not seem to be the case.

Not sure if the Hub Two in bridge mode will be useful for any remote checks as almost everything is turned off except for the modem functions

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Not sure if the Hub Two in bridge mode will be useful for any remote checks

@Dan_the_Van I've seen somewhere that support seem to think its possible 🙄 but I can't see how myself!. 

I may be wrong, but AFAIK the remote diagnostics work over the TR069 interface which is accessed over IP. Can't see how they can access it in bridge mode , its got no IP.

Junkman
Rising Star

@Dan_the_Van that's a brilliant link thank you - it is the right router.  What I'm inclined to do is install it in bridge mode then see what Plusnet have to say in the follow up.  If they then want me to replace the Billion with the Hub 2 then I'll have a go at that

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@MisterW 

I do know when I had my Hub two in bridge mode I had to go back to modem/router mode for a firmware download, so TR069 (CWMP) must be disabled, as you say there is no IP Address, so our assumptions should be correct.

@Junkman 

A sensible plan

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

o my only options are use the Hub 2 in place of my Billion or use it in bridging mode then.

@Junkman actually , No! . I couldn't understand why a third-party router wouldn't support DHCP for a WAN connection , since that would eliminate its use on at least 2 ISPs , Talktalk and VM!. So I woke up at 1/2 past midnight and thought Doh! 'Im an idiot' its IPoE😁

So the 8800 does support DHCP, its the 'IP over Ethernet' type.

Set if you wish to try the double NAT & DMZ suggestion then:-

On the 8800 , Add a WAN service selecting the Etherent port, set the type to IP over Ethernet. Check the 'obtain an IP address automatically' box (thats the DHCP bit!), uncheck the IPV6 Enable box. I think all the other settings can be left at the defaults.

Then proceed as suggested earlier, connect the WAN port to a LAN port on the Hub 2. The 8800 should then obtain a WAN IP address from the Hub 2. Then set the 8800 in the Hub 2 DMZ as shown by @Dan_the_Van earlier.

NB you'll probably want to disable the wifi on the Hub 2 to avoid interference with th 8800 wifi. Maybe @Dan_the_Van could kindly post the wifi configuration screen ?