cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of broadband service December 31st?

stmarksbelper

End of broadband service December 31st?

Our church is under contract until May 2024. I planned to switch during the Easter holidays so as not to disturb our users, and because I assumed that existing contracts would be honoured.

A call from a mobile number advised that the Business department would be closed on December 31st and that service for remaining customers would simply cease after this date. Also that there was no breach of contract and no compensation due for this action. Finally, that we had already been informed that switchoff would have taken place in September but that this had been extended - there is no mention of this in any correspondence regarding closure so I presume she was mixing this up with the deadline for landline switching that did not affect us.

I have today started the switch to Sky but would like to know from the support team how much of the information given on the phone was accurate. It felt like scaremongering tactics and I still refuse to believe that contracts running into 2024 would not be honoured. Plusnet, the Internet and customers' equipment will still exist next year!

2 REPLIES 2
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: End of broadband service December 31st?

@stmarksbelper 

No doubt one of the PlusNet guys will be along soon to clarify things.

There has been a lot of discussion behind the scenes (superusers, mods, PN staff) about PN business customers being misinformed.

I was given permission to make a post at https://community.plus.net/t5/Business/Plusnet-to-stop-providing-business-broadband/m-p/1933120/high... on 08/08/23 which stated the PN position as follows:

Termination charges - Customers on Plusnet business will not be liable for any termination fees for canceling the service, this includes canceling within the contract terms.  Customers can choose any other provider, not just BT Business, and not be liable for any termination fees.

Unfortunately, there is an issue currently whereby termination fees are added to the account if the account was ceased within the term of the contract, however, a credit equalling the amount of the termination fees will also be applied to the account thus mitigating this.

PlusNet will write to all Business customers and will specifically state the closure date of PlusNet Business.  Contracts that exceed the closure date will not be able to see out that term. 

At the moment PlusNet has not confirmed a date for closure but this will be communicated when a date has been decided upon.

... the salient line there, being that PN would *write* to business customers.

If you haven't had notification of a closure date in writing, I'd be inclined to distrust phone-calls advising otherwise.  Somewhat dismayed that this appears still to be happening.

As above, I hope there will be clarification here from the PN support guys shortly.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

Re: End of broadband service December 31st?

@stmarksbelper If I am being completely honest! We haven't been given a closure date from a social media side of things so I would say to take what they said with a pinch of salt. I am happy to be proven wrong, however if there was any info, us guys would know, and I have asked them all to which they agreed. Sorry about this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team