cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demise of Plusnet Business - Transfer to BT Major Issues

dgp
Rising Star

Demise of Plusnet Business - Transfer to BT Major Issues

I have a charity business account I’m trying to transfer to BT. Told I must have FTTP currently FTTC. I thought it would be easy but it’s a shambles.. First order cancelled without telling us because “they couldn’t find the installation address”. Second order now delayed after an installation date being given, again without telling us. Contact centre in India completely useless just passing the buck in the hope I’ll go away and clearly unable to cope with anything out of the ordinary. Finally got someone useful through Twitter only to be asked if I want to keep the existing number. It’s now been nearly two months and still no nearer.

My personal account has been with Plusnet for years without any problems and I’d rather have stayed with them for the charity, but I have no choice but to leave. Given I can’t be alone with the demise of Plusnet Business you’d have thought the transfer operation would be slicker. I’m just hoping Plusnet don’t shut the account down before it’s transferred over.

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 415

Re: Demise of Plusnet Business - Transfer to BT Major Issues

Told I must have FTTP currently FTTC

@dgp that's almost certainly due to your exchange being designated as 'fibre priority' by Openreach. It means that if FTTP is available to an address , then that is the only product that can be ordered!.

Given I can’t be alone with the demise of Plusnet Business you’d have thought the transfer operation would be slicker. I’m just hoping Plusnet don’t shut the account down before it’s transferred over.

In reality, its just processed as a normal transfer between ISP's and, of course , involves Openreach.

and I’d rather have stayed with them for the charity, but I have no choice but to leave

Reverting to a residential account was not an option, I assume ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Switching to a residential account is not possible for a Ltd company. I suspect that a residential account has to be in the name of a person, not an entity.

Switching the BB to Plusnet residential still leaves the challenge of gracefully transferring the telephone number to a different provider. The industry’s processes are not fail safe.

If Plusnet will offer the charity a residential service then it will need to be on a new account, thus you can get a new BB service first and then migrate the number to VoIP which should be a much safer journey.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dgp
Rising Star

It is a charity and all the bills need to be in the name of and paid for by the charity. Aside from this individuals come and go whereas the charity itself continues, so moving to a residential line will only create future problems when trustees retire. 

In all other respects it is no different from my own private Plusnet account, although Plusnet don’t currently offer a VOIP phone line.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Assuming your BT contract period hasn't started yet, as no service has been provided, have you considered cancelling and moving to A&A SoHo FTTP at £37 (+vat) and move your landline number to A&A VoIP for £1.44.

It will be a whole lot less stressful than dealing with BT !

dgp
Rising Star

Thanks. Price isn’t bad, but they want £100 ”installation and set up”. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Depending on your phone usage and what is included in your BT package,  you might save that £100 in the cost of call charges using A&A VoIP compared with BT's "Digital Voice" - which is often charged at similar rates to current landline prices.

iannewson
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Giganet do a business FTTP with free connection. I'm with them for residential and have been great so far.

Shout for a referral credit if you want