cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson 585v8 / Technicolor 582n wireless N speed increase

mliversidge
Dabbler

Thomson 585v8 / Technicolor 582n wireless N speed increase

Please note this is only for advanced users only, as always please ensure you feel comfortable doing this before starting and ensure you have backed up your settings prior to starting.
Make sure telnet is installed on your computer, if using Windows this can be installed through the control panel -> add/remove programs -> add/remove windows components.
Once you have telnet installed open the command prompt and type "telnet 192.168.1.254" (replace 192.168.1.254 with the IP address you have manually configured your router to use)
This should ask you for your username and password, enter the same credentials you would use for the Web interface.
Then enter this exactly:
:wireless radio state=enabled channel=0 channelwidth=20/40

The router should now talk to wireless N devices at up to 150Mbps as oposed to the 65Mbps as default.
Any feedback or pictures showing the steps let me know and I'll do my best to help.
12 REPLIES 12
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Thomson 585v8 / Technicolor 582n wireless N speed increase

Reports "Unknown Command" when I try it.
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: SteveA
"Unknown Command"

Same here, with 585v8, maybe it is a title error and is for the 582n only ?
mliversidge
Dabbler

Sorry about that - I'll have a play with a 585v8 and report back tomorrow.
frank39
Grafter

Good morning Martin
I'm using a 582N and the only connected device,at the moment, is my iPad2.  I used the command as instructed. Command seemed to be accepted, I then typed exit to leave telnet, exit to leave command window. Wireless home network actual speed still shows 65, sometimes 52 returning to 65 when the iPad reloads a page.  That is, no change from previous.  I have turned off my iPad WiFi for a while and the speed is unchanged
Couple of questions:
1. How do I undo the telnet command, if I have to?
2. If all this works, will I have to reenter the command each time the router is rebooted.
Frank
mliversidge
Dabbler

Thanks for trying, I'm going to have to add some screen shots which I'll do by midweek so it should help, I'm also going to find a 585v8 to test on.
1. I'll add a code to undo the command, however this shouldn't be necessary as all it does is doubles the amount of channels used by wireless N which is how most other N routers are designed to work as default.
2. You will only have to re-enter the command upon hard resetting the router to factory defaults.
dick:quote
mattturner
Grafter

Quote from: Martin

:wireless radio state=enabled channel=0 channelwidth=20/40

The router should now talk to wireless N devices at up to 150Mbps as oposed to the 65Mbps as default.
Any feedback or pictures showing the steps let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Please be careful with this. This will change the bandwidth of the wireless signal from the default 20Mhz to 40Mhz. Each Wifi channel on a router corresponds to a center frequency with a (usually) 20Mhz channel width. This means that if you select channel 1 the center frequency is 2.412Ghz and the channel width is 20Mhz meaning it overlaps with channels 1,2,3,4 & 5.
When you change the channel width to 40 Mhz channel 1 overlaps with channels 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 & 10. In reality this means that you're likely to consume much of the available ISM bandwidth and will suffer from interference from neighboring Wifi access points.
When you go out to the shops and see 802.11n devices advertising speeds to 150Mbps what this actually means is that the Phy layer achieves speeds of 150Mbps in a shielded lab with no 2.4Ghz ISM band interference. In a 2.4Ghz ISM band dead zone you will see a real world increase in throughput compared to a 20Mhz channel width but it will not be double. In a semi urban environment where other APs can be seen there will be a DECREASE in performance, the 40Mhz channel setting will reduce throughput compared to 20Mhz.
This is down to the mechanisms in APs that allow them to negotiate air time not working, these are the RTS/CTS (request to send/clear to send) packets that you may have heard of. These allow negotiation between APs to allow sole use of the Phy layer (the 2.4Ghz radio band). The crux of the issue is that 20Mhz devices do not recognise 40Mhz devices as APs and will not negotiate with them to allow clear access of the Phy layer. The end result is more interference for the 40Mhz device and a poorer performance.
40Mhz Channel widths are only accepted by the official Wifi Alliance standards in the 5GHz frequency band due to the larger bandwidth of the 5Ghz ISM band.
So... be careful with this. It will only improve Wifi performance if there are no other APs in sight and will cause interference and lower performance if there are other APs locally.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

To echo Matt's comments, I had *major* issues using a 40MHz channel width with my DGN2200's and have seen massive improvement moving to 20MHz in both speed and range. Only try this change if there are no other wireless routers in the area.
frank39
Grafter

Further info.
I tried again.  This time I turned off the iPad WiFi before I input the telnet command from the PC.  'Actual speed' as displayed increased to 130, as you expect.  When I connected the iPad and loaded a page the speed fell to 65.  The iPad is sitting next to the router, so I guess this is an iPad issue not a router.
It may be that an iPad won't connect at full speed on a b/g/n network.  There are some discussion group suggestions that an iPad prefers an exclusive n network.  Since there is no option on the 582N to configure the WLAN to exclusive n, I can't test that theory.  Even if I did switch b/g off then my phone and notebooks wouldn't connect so I guess I'm stuffed.
I've just seen the latest posts - could I please have the telnet command to undo.
mliversidge
Dabbler

Will update tonight with a confirmed command, however this should work no worries:
:wireless radio state=enabled channel=0 channelwidth=20

Thanks for that info Matt & Ben, I'll do some further testing when I get home however I've noted an increased throughput from 20Mhz alone, however I am quite rural with only 2 other APs in my neighbourhood.
I've found this link if anyone would like a visual representation:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration#Illustrations_of_2.4GHz_Channels
dick:quote
frank39
Grafter

Another observation:
To be certain, I did a hard reset of the 582n.  Again the WLAN started at 130 and fell back to 65 after I switched the iPad on.  For all I know, it has always been like that - it's not the sort of thing that you keep your eye on.  I ran your 'revert to original' command line and again the WLAN started at 130 and fell back to 65.
Incidentally, my CLI manual for the 585v7 specifies the saveall command for use after config. changes.  There doesn't seem to be a 582n manual for mere mortals to read, so is the saveall command required (might account for the speed changes not working).
frank39
Grafter

Quote from: Martin
Will update tonight with a confirmed command, however this should work no worries:
:wireless radio state=enabled channel=0 channelwidth=20

Any update yet?
mliversidge
Dabbler

Sorry, went out for a family birthday event last night and didn't get chance to play with the 582N, I can however confirm that code is valid and will restore previous router wireless performance.
If you have any doubts please restore to the backup you stored as this setting is saved as part of the back up process.